Career and Education Opportunities for Gaming Cashiers in San Francisco, California
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for gaming cashiers in the San Francisco, California area. About 2,300 people are currently employed as gaming cashiers in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow 9% to 2,500 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for gaming cashiers are expected to shrink by about 10.4%. Gaming cashiers generally conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments.
A person working as a gaming cashier can expect to earn about $13 hourly or $27,610 per year on average in California and about $11 hourly or $24,890 annually on average in the U.S. as a whole. Gaming cashiers earn less than people working in the category of Billing and Bookkeeping generally in California and less than people in the Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
There are eighty-six schools of higher education in the San Francisco area, including two within twenty-five miles of San Francisco where you can get a degree to start your career as a gaming cashier. The most common level of education for gaming cashiers is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a gaming cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Gaming Cashier
In general, gaming cashiers conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. They also may reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books.
Gaming cashiers follow all gaming regulations. They also convert gaming checks and coins to currency for gaming patrons. Equally important, gaming cashiers have to cash checks and process credit card advances for patrons. They are often called upon to maintain confidentiality of customers' transactions. They are expected to count funds and reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Finally, gaming cashiers furnish customers with data related to casino operations.
Every day, gaming cashiers are expected to be able to deal with basic arithmetic problems. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they evaluate problems as they arise.
It is important for gaming cashiers to perform removal and rotation of cash and chip inventories as needed. They are often called upon to furnish assistance in the training and orientation of new cashiers. They also maintain cage security. They are sometimes expected to supply currency and gaming checks to other departments as needed. Somewhat less frequently, gaming cashiers are also expected to decide on cash requirements for windows, and order all needed currency and chips.
and record casino exchange transactions, using cash registers. And finally, they sometimes have to verify precision of reports, such as authorization forms and exchange summary reports.
Like many other jobs, gaming cashiers must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Francisco include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Gaming Cashier Training
Mt Diablo Adult Education - Concord, CA
Mt Diablo Adult Education, 1266 San Carlos, Concord, CA 94518. Mt Diablo Adult Education is a small school located in Concord, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 513 students. Mt Diablo Adult Education has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated eighty-two students in 2008.
Martinez Adult Education - Martinez, CA
Martinez Adult Education, 600 F St, Martinez, CA 94553-3298. Martinez Adult Education is a small school located in Martinez, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 565 students. Martinez Adult Education has a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Francisco, California
San Francisco is located in San Francisco County, California. It has a population of over 808,976, which has grown by 4.2% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in San Francisco, 180, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in San Francisco cost $218,300 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, fifty-seven new homes were built in San Francisco, up from fifty-five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in San Francisco are professional, scientific, and technical services, health care, and educational services. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, accommodation and food services, and construction. The average travel time to work is about 31 minutes. More than 45.0% of San Francisco residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 16.4%, is higher than the state average.
The percentage of San Francisco residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 41.8%, is less than both the national and state average. Gold Mountain Monastery, Golden Gate Community Church of the Nazarene and Golden Gate Lutheran Church are among the churches located in San Francisco. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Muslim Estimate and the United Methodist Church.
San Francisco is home to the Pier 88 and the Prayer Book Cross as well as Helen Wills Playground and Music Concourse. Shopping malls in the area include Yerba Buena Square Shopping Center, Fox Plaza Shopping Center and Galleria At Crocker Center Shopping Center. Visitors to San Francisco can choose from Astoria Hotel, A-1 Inn Motel and Best Western Canterbury Hotel for temporary stays in the area.