Career and Education Opportunities for English Professors in San Bernardino, California
If you want to be an english professor, the San Bernardino, California area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. English professors generally teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education, people working as english professors in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education nationally. English professors work in a variety of jobs, including: academic support center director, developmental writing instructor, and general education instructor.
There are fifty-one schools of higher education in the San Bernardino area, including eight within twenty-five miles of San Bernardino where you can get a degree to start your career as an english professor. English professors usually hold a Master's degree, so it will take about six years to learn to be an english professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: English Professor
In general, english professors teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
English professors initiate and moderate classroom discussions. They also evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. Equally important, english professors have to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to maintain student attendance records and other required records. Finally, english professors ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as poetry and translation and adaptation.
Every day, english professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for english professors to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. They are often called upon to decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks. They also participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are sometimes expected to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. Somewhat less frequently, english professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
English professors sometimes are asked to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students. They also have to be able to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish assistance to students in college writing centers.
Like many other jobs, english professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Bernardino include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: English Professor Training
Copper Mountain Community College - Joshua Tree, CA
Copper Mountain Community College, 6162 Rotary Way, Joshua Tree, CA 92252. Copper Mountain Community College is a small college located in Joshua Tree, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 2,178 students. Copper Mountain Community College has an associate's degree program in English Language and Literature.
Chaffey College - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Chaffey College, 5885 Haven Ave, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737-3002. Chaffey College is a large college located in Rancho Cucamonga, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,486 students. Chaffey College has an associate's degree program in English Language and Literature.
University of Redlands - Redlands, CA
University of Redlands, 1200 E. Colton Ave, Redlands, CA 92373-0999. University of Redlands is a small university located in Redlands, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,155 students and an admission rate of 63%. University of Redlands has a bachelor's degree program in Creative Writing which graduated two students in 2008.
California State University-San Bernardino - San Bernardino, CA
California State University-San Bernardino, 5500 University Pky, San Bernardino, CA 92407-2397. California State University-San Bernardino is a large university located in San Bernardino, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 17,211 students and an admission rate of 61%. California State University-San Bernardino has 2 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- English Language and Literature, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- English Composition, master's degree which graduated 42 students in 2008.
University of California-Riverside - Riverside, CA
University of California-Riverside, 900 University Ave, Riverside, CA 92521. University of California-Riverside is a large university located in Riverside, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 18,405 students and an admission rate of 87%. University of California-Riverside has 3 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- Comparative Literature, master's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- English Language and Literature, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated eight, eight, and ten students respectively in 2008.
- Creative Writing, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated two and twenty-one students respectively in 2008.
Crafton Hills College - Yucaipa, CA
Crafton Hills College, 11711 Sand Canyon Road, Yucaipa, CA 92399-1799. Crafton Hills College is a medium sized college located in Yucaipa, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,964 students. Crafton Hills College has an associate's degree program in English Language and Literature which graduated one student in 2008.
California Baptist University - Riverside, CA
California Baptist University, 8432 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504-3297. California Baptist University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,013 students and an admission rate of 74%. California Baptist University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in English Language and Literature which graduated twenty-six and ten students respectively in 2008.
La Sierra University - Riverside, CA
La Sierra University, 4500 Riverwalk Parkway, Riverside, CA 92515-8247. La Sierra University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,899 students and an admission rate of 55%. La Sierra University has 3 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- English Language and Literature, master's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- English Composition, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- English Language and Literature/Letters, Other Specialties, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Bernardino, California
San Bernardino is situated in San Bernardino County, California. It has a population of over 198,580, which has grown by 7.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in San Bernardino, 125, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in San Bernardino cost $182,700 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, twenty-one new homes were constructed in San Bernardino, down from one hundred fifty-nine the previous year.
The three big industries for women in San Bernardino are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 28 minutes. More than 11.6% of San Bernardino residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 3.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in San Bernardino is 18.6%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of San Bernardino residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 42.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Golden Avenue Church, Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are among the churches located in San Bernardino. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
San Bernardino is home to the Warm Creek Golf Course and the San Bernardino Public Golf Course as well as Plaza Park and Palm Field Park. Shopping malls in the area include Wildwood Plaza Shopping Center, Highland Avenue Plaza Shopping Center and Mountain Shadows Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to San Bernardino can choose from American Inn, Best Western Hospitality Lane and American Tex-Chem Corporation for temporary stays in the area.