Career and Education Opportunities for Writers in San Bernardino, California
For those living in the San Bernardino, California area, there are many career and education opportunities for writers. About 17,800 people are currently employed as writers in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 19% to 21,100 people employed. This is better than the national trend for writers, which sees this job pool growing by about 14.8% over the next eight years. Writers generally create original written works.
The income of a writer is about $32 per hour or $67,540 annually on average in California. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $25 hourly or $53,070 per year on average. Incomes for writers are better than in the overall category of Writing and Editing in California, and not quite as good as the overall Writing and Editing category nationally. Writers work in a variety of jobs, including: business writer, columnist/commentator, and movie writer.
The San Bernardino area is home to fifty-one schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of San Bernardino where you can get a degree as a writer. The most common level of education for writers is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become a writer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Writer
In general, writers create original written works.
Writers revise written material to meet personal standards and to satisfy needs of clients or producers. They also choose subject matter and suitable form to express personal feelings and experiences or concepts, or to narrate stories or events. Equally important, writers have to formulate project arrangements or outlines, and organize material accordingly. They are often called upon to collaborate with other writers on specific projects. They are expected to ready works in appropriate format for publication, and send them to publishers or producers. Finally, writers talk with clients or producers to consider changes or revisions to written material.
Every day, writers are expected to be able to write clearly and communicate well. They need to be creative and generate new ideas.
It is important for writers to conduct research to obtain factual data and authentic detail, using sources such as newspaper accounts and interviews. They are often called upon to follow appropriate procedures to get copyrights for completed work. They also attend book launches and publicity events, or conduct public readings. They are sometimes expected to design factors such as themes and dialogue, to generate material. Somewhat less frequently, writers are also expected to collaborate with other writers on specific projects.
Writers sometimes are asked to teach writing classes. And finally, they sometimes have to revise written material to meet personal standards and to satisfy needs of clients or producers.
Like many other jobs, writers must be persistant in the face of problems and impediments and want to innovate to meet new challenges.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Bernardino include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Copy Writer. Write advertising copy for use by publication or broadcast media to promote sale of goods and services.
- Editorial Specialist. Perform variety of editorial duties, such as laying out, indexing, and revising content of written materials, in preparation for final publication.
- Film or Videotape Editor. Edit motion picture soundtracks, film, and video.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Music Director. Direct and conduct instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups.
- News Analyst. Analyze, interpret, and broadcast news received from various sources.
- Radio and Television Announcer. Talk on radio or television. May interview guests, act as master of ceremonies, read news flashes, identify station by giving call letters, or announce song title and artist.
- Reporter. Collect and analyze facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation. Report and write stories for newspaper, news magazine, or television.
- Singer. Sing songs on stage, radio, or motion pictures.
- Technical Writer. Write technical materials, such as equipment manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions. May assist in layout work.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Writer Training
California Baptist University - Riverside, CA
California Baptist University, 8432 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504-3297. California Baptist University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,013 students and an admission rate of 74%. California Baptist University has a bachelor's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric which graduated one student in 2008.
University of Redlands - Redlands, CA
University of Redlands, 1200 E. Colton Ave, Redlands, CA 92373-0999. University of Redlands is a small university located in Redlands, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,155 students and an admission rate of 63%. University of Redlands has a bachelor's degree program in Creative Writing which graduated two students in 2008.
La Sierra University - Riverside, CA
La Sierra University, 4500 Riverwalk Parkway, Riverside, CA 92515-8247. La Sierra University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,899 students and an admission rate of 55%. La Sierra University has 2 areas of study related to Writer. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
- English Composition, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
California State University-San Bernardino - San Bernardino, CA
California State University-San Bernardino, 5500 University Pky, San Bernardino, CA 92407-2397. California State University-San Bernardino is a large university located in San Bernardino, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 17,211 students and an admission rate of 61%. California State University-San Bernardino has 2 areas of study related to Writer. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated 165 and twenty-one students respectively in 2008.
- English Composition, master's degree which graduated 42 students in 2008.
University of California-Riverside - Riverside, CA
University of California-Riverside, 900 University Ave, Riverside, CA 92521. University of California-Riverside is a large university located in Riverside, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 18,405 students and an admission rate of 87%. University of California-Riverside has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Creative Writing which graduated two and twenty-one students respectively in 2008.
Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package: Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package course list: Better Requests for Proposals for Better Projects; Continuous Improvement Through Monitoring; Contracting; New Coding System for the 21st Century; Procurement; and Writing Winning Grant Proposals.
For more information, see the Dynamic Works Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Bernardino, California
San Bernardino is situated in San Bernardino County, California. It has a population of over 198,580, which has grown by 7.1% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in San Bernardino, 125, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in San Bernardino cost $182,700 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, twenty-one new homes were constructed in San Bernardino, down from one hundred fifty-nine the previous year.
The three big industries for women in San Bernardino are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 28 minutes. More than 11.6% of San Bernardino residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 3.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in San Bernardino is 18.6%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of San Bernardino residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 42.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Golden Avenue Church, Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are among the churches located in San Bernardino. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
San Bernardino is home to the Warm Creek Golf Course and the San Bernardino Public Golf Course as well as Plaza Park and Palm Field Park. Shopping malls in the area include Wildwood Plaza Shopping Center, Highland Avenue Plaza Shopping Center and Mountain Shadows Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to San Bernardino can choose from American Inn, Best Western Hospitality Lane and American Tex-Chem Corporation for temporary stays in the area.