Career and Education Opportunities for Legal Secretaries in Sacramento, California
Legal secretary career and educational opportunities abound in Sacramento, California. There are currently 35,900 working legal secretaries in California; this should grow 14% to 41,000 working legal secretaries in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for legal secretaries, which sees this job pool growing by about 18.4% over the next eight years. In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents.
A person working as a legal secretary can expect to earn about $23 per hour or $48,640 annually on average in California and about $19 per hour or $39,860 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Legal secretaries earn more than people working in the category of Secretarial generally in California and more than people in the Secretarial category nationally.
There are forty-two schools of higher education in the Sacramento area, including five within twenty-five miles of Sacramento where you can get a degree to start your career as a legal secretary. Legal secretaries usually hold an Associate's, or other 2-year degree, so you can expect to spend about two years studying to be a legal secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legal Secretary
In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. They also prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas.
Legal secretaries receive and place telephone calls. They also mail or manage delivery of legal correspondence to clients and court officials. Equally important, legal secretaries have to ready and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses and pretrial agreements. They are often called upon to make photocopies of correspondence and other printed matter. They are expected to schedule and make appointments. Finally, legal secretaries draft and type office memos.
Every day, legal secretaries are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for legal secretaries to organize and maintain law libraries and case files. They are often called upon to attend legal meetings, such as client interviews or depositions, and take notes. They also complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients. Somewhat less frequently, legal secretaries are also expected to submit articles and data from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use.
They also have to be able to inspect legal publications and perform database searches to pinpoint laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases And finally, they sometimes have to complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
Like many other jobs, legal secretaries must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Sacramento include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legal Secretary Training
American River College - Sacramento, CA
American River College, 4700 College Oak Dr, Sacramento, CA 95841-4286. American River College is a large college located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 37,601 students. American River College has a two to four year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary.
Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center - Sacramento, CA
Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center, 5451 Lemon Hill Ave, Sacramento, CA 95824-1529. Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center is a small school located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,429 students. Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center has a less than one year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated fifteen students in 2008.
Humphreys College-Stockton - Stockton, CA
Humphreys College-Stockton, 6650 Inglewood Ave, Stockton, CA 95207-3896. Humphreys College-Stockton is a small college located in Stockton, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 811 students. Humphreys College-Stockton has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated zero and nine students respectively in 2008.
MTI College - Sacramento, CA
MTI College, 5221 Madison Ave, Sacramento, CA 95841-9817. MTI College is a small college located in Sacramento, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 708 students and an admission rate of 67%. MTI College has a less than one year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated forty-six students in 2008.
MTI Business College Inc - Stockton, CA
MTI Business College Inc, 6006 N. El Dorado Street, Stockton, CA 95207-4349. MTI Business College Inc is a small college located in Stockton, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 225 students. MTI Business College Inc has a less than one year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated two students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Sacramento, California
Sacramento is located in Sacramento County, California. It has a population of over 463,794, which has grown by 13.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Sacramento, 93, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Sacramento are valued at $185,300 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, nine hundred thirty-four new homes were constructed in Sacramento, down from 1,337 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Sacramento are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 23.9% of Sacramento residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.4%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Sacramento is 14.7%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Sacramento residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 36.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Pearly Gate Missionary Baptist Church, Peace Lutheran Church and Parkview Presbyterian Church are among the churches located in Sacramento. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Assemblies of God.
Sacramento is home to the Southern Pacific Shops and the Bing Maloney Golf Course as well as Alkali Flat North Historic District and Silva Field. Shopping centers in the area include Farmers Center Shopping Center, Florin Square Shopping Center and Franklin and Florin Shopping Center. Visitors to Sacramento can choose from Best Western Sutter House, Best for Less Motel-Cababa Lodge and AAA Residence Inn for temporary stays in the area.