Career and Education Opportunities for Nursing Professors in Sacramento, California
Sacramento, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for nursing professors. In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for nursing professors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in California, and not quite as good as the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. People working as nursing professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: professor, nursing instructor, and clinical nursing instructor.
There are forty-two schools of higher education in the Sacramento area, including nine within twenty-five miles of Sacramento where you can get a degree to start your career as a nursing professor. Given that the most common education level for nursing professors is a Master's degree, it will take about six years to learn to be a nursing professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Nursing Professor
In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. They also includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
Nursing professors keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They also evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory and clinic work, assignments, and papers. Equally important, nursing professors have to collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. Finally, nursing professors supervise students' laboratory and clinical work.
Every day, nursing professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for nursing professors to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to act as advisers to student organizations. Somewhat less frequently, nursing professors are also expected to demonstrate patient care in clinical units of hospitals.
Nursing professors sometimes are asked to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry and ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. And finally, they sometimes have to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
Like many other jobs, nursing professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Sacramento include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Nursing Professor Training
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated 156 and 156 students respectively in 2008.
Sacramento City College - Sacramento, CA
Sacramento City College, 3835 Freeport Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95822-1386. Sacramento City College is a large college located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,175 students. Sacramento City College has an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated 108 students in 2008.
Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center - Sacramento, CA
Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center, 5451 Lemon Hill Ave, Sacramento, CA 95824-1529. Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center is a small school located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,429 students. Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center has a less than one year program in Pre-Nursing Studies which graduated twenty-four students in 2008.
Sierra College - Rocklin, CA
Sierra College, 5000 Rocklin Road, Rocklin, CA 95677-3397. Sierra College is a large college located in Rocklin, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 21,608 students. Sierra College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated fifty-three and zero students respectively in 2008.
University of California-Davis - Davis, CA
University of California-Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616-8678. University of California-Davis is a large university located in Davis, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 30,270 students and an admission rate of 59%. University of California-Davis has a postbaccalaureate certificate program in Family Practice Nurse/Nurse Practitioner which graduated twenty-eight students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Sacramento Valley Campus - Sacramento, CA
University of Phoenix-Sacramento Valley Campus, 2890 Gateway Oaks Drive, Suite 200, Sacramento, CA 95833-3632. University of Phoenix-Sacramento Valley Campus is a small university located in Sacramento, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 3,166 students. University of Phoenix-Sacramento Valley Campus has 3 areas of study related to Nursing Professor. They are:
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training, bachelor's degree which graduated 33 students in 2008.
- Family Practice Nurse/Nurse Practitioner, master's degree which graduated 17 students in 2008.
- Nursing Science, master's degree which graduated 11 students in 2008.
American River College - Sacramento, CA
American River College, 4700 College Oak Dr, Sacramento, CA 95841-4286. American River College is a large college located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 37,601 students. American River College has 2 areas of study related to Nursing Professor. They are:
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training, associate's degree and two to four year which graduated 102 and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Nursing, Other Specialties, two to four year.
California State University-Sacramento - Sacramento, CA
California State University-Sacramento, 6000 J St, Sacramento, CA 95819-2694. California State University-Sacramento is a large university located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 29,022 students and an admission rate of 67%. California State University-Sacramento has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated one and fourteen students respectively in 2008.
Western Career College-Sacramento - Sacramento, CA
Western Career College-Sacramento, 8909 Folsom Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95826. Western Career College-Sacramento is a small college located in Sacramento, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 1,538 students and an admission rate of 100%. Western Career College-Sacramento has 2 areas of study related to Nursing Professor. They are:
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training, associate's degree which graduated 41 students in 2008.
- Nursing, Other Specialties, one to two year and associate's degree which graduated ninety-one and thirty-three students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Sacramento, California
Sacramento is located in Sacramento County, California. It has a population of over 463,794, which has grown by 13.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Sacramento, 93, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Sacramento are valued at $185,300 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, nine hundred thirty-four new homes were constructed in Sacramento, down from 1,337 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Sacramento are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 23.9% of Sacramento residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.4%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Sacramento is 14.7%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Sacramento residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 36.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Pearly Gate Missionary Baptist Church, Peace Lutheran Church and Parkview Presbyterian Church are among the churches located in Sacramento. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Assemblies of God.
Sacramento is home to the Southern Pacific Shops and the Bing Maloney Golf Course as well as Alkali Flat North Historic District and Silva Field. Shopping centers in the area include Farmers Center Shopping Center, Florin Square Shopping Center and Franklin and Florin Shopping Center. Visitors to Sacramento can choose from Best Western Sutter House, Best for Less Motel-Cababa Lodge and AAA Residence Inn for temporary stays in the area.