Career and Education Opportunities for Legal Secretaries in Roseville, California
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for legal secretaries in the Roseville, California area. Currently, 35,900 people work as legal secretaries in California. This is expected to grow 14% to 41,000 people by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for legal secretaries, which sees this job pool growing by about 18.4% over the next eight years. In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents.
Legal secretaries earn about $23 per hour or $48,640 annually on average in California and about $19 hourly or $39,860 yearly on average nationally. Incomes for legal secretaries are better than in the overall category of Secretarial in California, and better than the overall Secretarial category nationally.
There are thirty-six schools of higher education in the Roseville area, including four within twenty-five miles of Roseville where you can get a degree to start your career as a legal secretary. The most common level of education for legal secretaries is an Associate's, or other 2-year degree. You can expect to spend about two years training to become a legal secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legal Secretary
In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. They also prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas.
Legal secretaries receive and place telephone calls. They also mail or manage delivery of legal correspondence to clients and court officials. Equally important, legal secretaries have to ready and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses and pretrial agreements. They are often called upon to make photocopies of correspondence and other printed matter. They are expected to schedule and make appointments. Finally, legal secretaries draft and type office memos.
Every day, legal secretaries are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for legal secretaries to organize and maintain law libraries and case files. They are often called upon to attend legal meetings, such as client interviews or depositions, and take notes. They also complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients. Somewhat less frequently, legal secretaries are also expected to submit articles and data from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use.
They also have to be able to inspect legal publications and perform database searches to pinpoint laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases And finally, they sometimes have to complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
Like many other jobs, legal secretaries must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Roseville include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legal Secretary Training
American River College - Sacramento, CA
American River College, 4700 College Oak Dr, Sacramento, CA 95841-4286. American River College is a large college located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 37,601 students. American River College has a two to four year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary.
Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center - Sacramento, CA
Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center, 5451 Lemon Hill Ave, Sacramento, CA 95824-1529. Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center is a small school located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,429 students. Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center has a less than one year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated fifteen students in 2008.
MTI College - Sacramento, CA
MTI College, 5221 Madison Ave, Sacramento, CA 95841-9817. MTI College is a small college located in Sacramento, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 708 students and an admission rate of 67%. MTI College has a less than one year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated forty-six students in 2008.
Yuba College - Marysville, CA
Yuba College, 2088 N Beale Rd, Marysville, CA 95901. Yuba College is a medium sized college located in Marysville, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,399 students. Yuba College has one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated three, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Roseville, California
Roseville is located in Placer County, California. It has a population of over 112,660, which has grown by 41.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Roseville, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Roseville cost $229,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, six hundred seventy-six new homes were built in Roseville, down from 1,050 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Roseville are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and computer and electronic products. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 31.4% of Roseville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Roseville is 11.7%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Roseville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Faith Chapel Assembly of God Church, Bethel Lutheran Church and First Baptist Church of Roseville are all churches located in Roseville. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Roseville is home to the Diamond K Ranch and the Sierra View Country Club as well as Crestmont Park and Maidu Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roseville Square Shopping Center, Roseville Shopping Center and Bel Air Shopping Center. Visitors to Roseville can choose from Best Western Roseville Inn and Bridges at Woodcreek Oaks for temporary stays in the area.