Career and Education Opportunities for Craftsmen in Roseville, California
Craftsmen can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Roseville, California area. The national trend for craftsmen sees this job pool growing by about 7.2% over the next eight years. Craftsmen generally create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
A person working as a craftsman can expect to earn about $18 per hour or $37,890 annually on average in California and about $13 per hour or $29,080 annually on average in the U.S. as a whole. Incomes for craftsmen are not quite as good as in the overall category of Art and Design in California, and not quite as good as the overall Art and Design category nationally. People working as craftsmen can fill a number of jobs, such as: toy maker, ornamental metalwork designer, and furniture artist.
There are thirty-six schools of higher education in the Roseville area, including eight within twenty-five miles of Roseville where you can get a degree to start your career as a craftsman. Craftsmen usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a craftsman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Craftsman
In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen develop functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials. They also design product packaging, display and pricing strategies. Equally important, craftsmen have to attend craft shows to market products. They are often called upon to advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures. They are expected to design creative concepts for craft objects. Finally, craftsmen fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production.
Every day, craftsmen are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they move quickly in order to hold onto or control objects and devices.
It is important for craftsmen to apply finishes to objects being crafted. They are often called upon to design designs using specialized computer software. Somewhat less frequently, craftsmen are also expected to research craft trends and customer buying patterns so as to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
Craftsmen sometimes are asked to develop prototypes or models of objects to be crafted. And finally, they sometimes have to talk with customers to gauge customer needs or obtain feedback.
Like many other jobs, craftsmen must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Roseville include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Craftsman Training
Sacramento City College - Sacramento, CA
Sacramento City College, 3835 Freeport Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95822-1386. Sacramento City College is a large college located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,175 students. Sacramento City College has 2 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Visual and Performing Arts, associate's degree which graduated 7 students in 2008.
- Art/Art Studies, associate's degree which graduated 15 students in 2008.
Yuba College - Marysville, CA
Yuba College, 2088 N Beale Rd, Marysville, CA 95901. Yuba College is a medium sized college located in Marysville, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,399 students. Yuba College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated one and two students respectively in 2008.
Cosumnes River College - Sacramento, CA
Cosumnes River College, 8401 Center Parkway, Sacramento, CA 95823-5799. Cosumnes River College is a large college located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 14,518 students. Cosumnes River College has an associate's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated one student in 2008.
Sierra College - Rocklin, CA
Sierra College, 5000 Rocklin Road, Rocklin, CA 95677-3397. Sierra College is a large college located in Rocklin, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 21,608 students. Sierra College has 2 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Visual and Performing Arts, associate's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Art/Art Studies, associate's degree which graduated 19 students in 2008.
University of California-Davis - Davis, CA
University of California-Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616-8678. University of California-Davis is a large university located in Davis, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 30,270 students and an admission rate of 59%. University of California-Davis has a master's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated two students in 2008.
American River College - Sacramento, CA
American River College, 4700 College Oak Dr, Sacramento, CA 95841-4286. American River College is a large college located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 37,601 students. American River College has 3 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Visual and Performing Arts, associate's degree.
- Art/Art Studies, associate's degree which graduated 11 students in 2008.
- Drawing, one to two year and two to four year which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
California State University-Sacramento - Sacramento, CA
California State University-Sacramento, 6000 J St, Sacramento, CA 95819-2694. California State University-Sacramento is a large university located in Sacramento, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 29,022 students and an admission rate of 67%. California State University-Sacramento has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated four and three students respectively in 2008.
Folsom Lake College - Folsom, CA
Folsom Lake College, 10 College Parkway, Folsom, CA 95630. Folsom Lake College is a medium sized college located in Folsom, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,142 students. Folsom Lake College has an associate's degree program in Art/Art Studies.
Certified Decorative Artist: The Certified Decorative Artist applicant must pay the required fees and submit one piece of work for judging.
For more information, see the Society of Decorative Painters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Roseville, California
Roseville is located in Placer County, California. It has a population of over 112,660, which has grown by 41.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Roseville, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Roseville cost $229,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, six hundred seventy-six new homes were built in Roseville, down from 1,050 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Roseville are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and computer and electronic products. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 31.4% of Roseville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Roseville is 11.7%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Roseville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Faith Chapel Assembly of God Church, Bethel Lutheran Church and First Baptist Church of Roseville are all churches located in Roseville. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Roseville is home to the Diamond K Ranch and the Sierra View Country Club as well as Crestmont Park and Maidu Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roseville Square Shopping Center, Roseville Shopping Center and Bel Air Shopping Center. Visitors to Roseville can choose from Best Western Roseville Inn and Bridges at Woodcreek Oaks for temporary stays in the area.