Career and Education Opportunities for Graduate Research Assistants in Riverside, California
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for graduate research assistants in the Riverside, California area. In general, graduate research assistants assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Graduate research assistants earn less than people working in the category of Postsecondary Education generally in California and less than people in the Postsecondary Education category nationally. Jobs in this field include: graduate teaching assistant , graduate assistant, and research assistant .
The Riverside area is home to twenty-three schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Riverside where you can get a degree as a graduate research assistant. Graduate research assistants usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a graduate research assistant if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Graduate Research Assistant
In general, graduate research assistants assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. They also graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program.
Graduate research assistants copy and distribute classroom materials. They also meet with supervisors to consider students' grades, and to finish required grade-related paperwork. Equally important, graduate research assistants have to evaluate and grade examinations, assignments, and papers, and record grades. They are often called upon to return assignments to students in accordance with established deadlines. Finally, graduate research assistants notify instructors of errors or problems with assignments.
Every day, graduate research assistants are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for graduate research assistants to lead discussion sections and laboratory sections. They are often called upon to inform students of the processes for completing and submitting class work such as lab reports. They also ready and proctor examinations. They are sometimes expected to schedule and maintain regular office hours to meet with students. Somewhat less frequently, graduate research assistants are also expected to complete laboratory projects before assigning them to students so that any needed modifications can be made.
They also have to be able to furnish instructors with assistance in the use of audiovisual equipment and notify instructors of errors or problems with assignments. And finally, they sometimes have to order or obtain materials needed for classes.
Like many other jobs, graduate research assistants must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Riverside include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- High School Teacher. Instruct students in secondary public or private schools in one or more subjects at the secondary level, such as English, mathematics, or social studies. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Middle School Teacher. Teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Teaching Assistant. Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Graduate Research Assistant Training
California Baptist University - Riverside, CA
California Baptist University, 8432 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504-3297. California Baptist University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,013 students and an admission rate of 74%. California Baptist University has a master's degree program in Education which graduated ninety-eight students in 2008.
La Sierra University - Riverside, CA
La Sierra University, 4500 Riverwalk Parkway, Riverside, CA 92515-8247. La Sierra University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,899 students and an admission rate of 55%. La Sierra University has a doctor's degree program in Education which graduated four students in 2008.
University of California-Riverside - Riverside, CA
University of California-Riverside, 900 University Ave, Riverside, CA 92521. University of California-Riverside is a large university located in Riverside, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 18,405 students and an admission rate of 87%. University of California-Riverside has postbaccalaureate certificate, master's degree, post-master's certificate, and doctor's degree programs in Education which graduated ninety, seventy-eight, one, and nineteen students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Riverside, California
Riverside is located in Riverside County, California. It has a population of over 295,357, which has grown by 15.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Riverside, 123, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Riverside cost $328,500 on average, which is well above the state average. In 2008, sixty-nine new homes were built in Riverside, down from three hundred forty-two the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Riverside are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 29 minutes. More than 19.1% of Riverside residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Riverside is 15.2%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Riverside residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.0%, is less than both the national and state average. All Saints Episcopal Church, All Souls Universalist Church and Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church are all churches located in Riverside. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Riverside is home to the Riverside Art Museum and the Riverside Municipal Auditorium and Soldiers Memorial Building as well as Evans Park and Fairmount Park. Shopping malls in the area include Adams Plaza Shopping Center, Jurupa Grand Center Shopping Center and Five Points Shopping Center. Visitors to Riverside can choose from Airport-Inn, Arlington Motor Inn and Best Western of Riverside for temporary stays in the area.