Career and Education Opportunities for Retail Sales Managers in Rancho Cucamonga, California
If you want to be a retail sales manager, the Rancho Cucamonga, California area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. There are currently 188,900 jobs for retail sales managers in California and this is projected to grow by 12% to about 210,600 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for retail sales managers are expected to grow by about 5.2%. Retail sales managers generally directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department.
Income for retail sales managers is about $17 per hour or $36,860 annually on average in California. Nationally, their income is about $16 per hour or $35,310 per year. Earnings for retail sales managers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Sales and Clerical in California and not quite as good as general Sales and Clerical category earnings nationally.
The Rancho Cucamonga area is home to twenty-seven schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Rancho Cucamonga where you can get a degree as a retail sales manager. The most common level of education for retail sales managers is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a retail sales manager if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Retail Sales Manager
In general, retail sales managers directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. They also duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
Retail sales managers assign employees to specific duties. They also examine product to insure that it is correctly priced and displayed and that it functions as advertised. Equally important, retail sales managers have to furnish customer service by greeting and assisting clients, and responding to customer inquiries and complaints. They are often called upon to direct and supervise employees working on sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for clients. They are expected to instruct staff on how to handle difficult and complicated sales. Finally, retail sales managers monitor sales efforts to insure that clients receive satisfactory service and quality goods.
Every day, retail sales managers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they write clearly and communicate well.
It is important for retail sales managers to formulate and make ready work schedules and keep records of employees' work schedules and time cards. They are often called upon to establish and implement policies, goals and processes for their department. They also inventory stock and reorder when inventory drops to a specified level. They are sometimes expected to hire and evaluate personnel in sales or marketing establishments, promoting or firing staff when appropriate. Somewhat less frequently, retail sales managers are also expected to direct and supervise employees working on sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for clients.
Retail sales managers sometimes are asked to examine products purchased for resale or received for storage to gauge the state of each product or item. and enforce safety and security rules. And finally, they sometimes have to establish credit policies and operating procedures.
Like many other jobs, retail sales managers must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Rancho Cucamonga include:
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Retail Sales Manager Training
Chaffey College - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Chaffey College, 5885 Haven Ave, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737-3002. Chaffey College is a large college located in Rancho Cucamonga, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,486 students. Chaffey College has 2 areas of study related to Retail Sales Manager. They are:
- E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce, two to four year.
- Retailing and Retail Operations, less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated one, one, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Westwood College-Inland Empire - Upland, CA
Westwood College-Inland Empire, 20 W 7th St, Upland, CA 91786-7148. Westwood College-Inland Empire is a small college located in Upland, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,080 students and an admission rate of 42%. Westwood College-Inland Empire has 2 areas of study related to Retail Sales Manager. They are:
- E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Business, Management, Marketing, & Related Support Services, Other Specialties, bachelor's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
San Bernardino Valley College - San Bernardino, CA
San Bernardino Valley College, 701 South Mount Vernon Avenue, San Bernardino, CA 92410-2798. San Bernardino Valley College is a large college located in San Bernardino, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 13,317 students. San Bernardino Valley College has a one to two year and a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated five and zero students respectively in 2008.
Certified Collegiate Retailer: Every journey has a destination-make yours the Certified Collegiate Retailer (CCR) designation.
For more information, see the National Association of College Bookstores website.
Certified Professional SalesPerson: Whether you're an experienced sales professional looking to take your career to the next level, or new to sales and looking to accelerate your learning curve and income, becoming a NASP Certified Professional SalesPerson (CPSP) will help you get there.
For more information, see the National Association of Sales Professionals website.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Rancho Cucamonga, California
Rancho Cucamonga is situated in San Bernardino County, California. It has a population of over 171,176, which has grown by 34.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Rancho Cucamonga, 128, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Rancho Cucamonga are valued at $207,800 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred fifty-nine new homes were built in Rancho Cucamonga, down from five hundred eighty-three the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Rancho Cucamonga are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, public administration, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 23.3% of Rancho Cucamonga residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Rancho Cucamonga is 9.2%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Rancho Cucamonga residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 42.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Alta Loma Christian Church, Grace Fellowship Church and The Lords House are all churches located in Rancho Cucamonga. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Rancho Cucamonga is home to the Etiwanda Fire Station and the John Rains House as well as Victoria Groves Park and Hermosa Park. Shopping malls in the area include Alta Loma Plaza Shopping Center, Alta Loma Square Shopping Center and AltaLoma Country Village Shopping Center.