Career and Education Opportunities for Income Tax Advisors in Rancho Cucamonga, California
For those living in the Rancho Cucamonga, California area, there are many career and education opportunities for income tax advisors. About 8,200 people are currently employed as income tax advisors in California. By 2016, this is expected to shrink by 2% to 8,000 people employed. This is not quite as good as the national trend for income tax advisors, which sees this job pool growing by about 2.9% over the next eight years. In general, income tax advisors prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
A person working as an income tax advisor can expect to earn about $23 per hour or $48,630 yearly on average in California and about $14 hourly or $29,420 annually on average in the U.S. as a whole. Incomes for income tax advisors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Accounting and Auditing in California, and not quite as good as the overall Accounting and Auditing category nationally. People working as income tax advisors can fill a number of jobs, such as: certified income tax preparer , tax preparer, and tax evaluator.
The Rancho Cucamonga area is home to twenty-seven schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Rancho Cucamonga where you can get a degree as an income tax advisor. The most common level of education for income tax advisors is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be an income tax advisor if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Income Tax Advisor
In general, income tax advisors prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
Income tax advisors ready or help in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses. They also use all appropriate adjustments and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum. Equally important, income tax advisors have to inspect financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to establish forms needed to ready tax returns. They are often called upon to consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to establish processes for preparation of atypical returns. They are expected to compute taxes owed or overpaid, using computers and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables. Finally, income tax advisors furnish taxpayers with sufficient data and advice to insure correct tax form completion.
Every day, income tax advisors are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they deal with basic arithmetic problems.
It is important for income tax advisors to check data input or verify totals on forms prepared by others to uncover errors in arithmetic or procedures. Somewhat less frequently, income tax advisors are also expected to calculate form preparation fees in line with return complexity and processing time required.
They also have to be able to interview clients to obtain additional data on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances And finally, they sometimes have to inspect financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to establish forms needed to ready tax returns.
Like many other jobs, income tax advisors must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Rancho Cucamonga include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Assessor. Appraise real and personal property to determine its fair value. May assess taxes in accordance with prescribed schedules.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Cost Analyst. Prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. May specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Loan Counselor. Provide guidance to prospective loan applicants who have problems qualifying for traditional loans. Guidance may include determining the best type of loan and explaining loan requirements or restrictions.
- Real Estate Appraiser. Appraise real property to determine its value for purchase, sales, or loan purposes.
- Tax Examiner. Determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Income Tax Advisor Training
Chaffey College - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Chaffey College, 5885 Haven Ave, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737-3002. Chaffey College is a large college located in Rancho Cucamonga, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,486 students. Chaffey College has a less than one year and a two to four year program in Taxation which graduated eight and zero students respectively in 2008.
San Bernardino Valley College - San Bernardino, CA
San Bernardino Valley College, 701 South Mount Vernon Avenue, San Bernardino, CA 92410-2798. San Bernardino Valley College is a large college located in San Bernardino, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 13,317 students. San Bernardino Valley College has a two to four year program in Taxation.
Accredited Tax Advisor: This credential is for practitioners who handle sophisticated tax planning issues, including ownership of closely held businesses, qualified retirement plans and complex estates.
For more information, see the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Rancho Cucamonga, California
Rancho Cucamonga is situated in San Bernardino County, California. It has a population of over 171,176, which has grown by 34.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Rancho Cucamonga, 128, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Rancho Cucamonga are valued at $207,800 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred fifty-nine new homes were built in Rancho Cucamonga, down from five hundred eighty-three the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Rancho Cucamonga are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, public administration, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 23.3% of Rancho Cucamonga residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Rancho Cucamonga is 9.2%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Rancho Cucamonga residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 42.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Alta Loma Christian Church, Grace Fellowship Church and The Lords House are all churches located in Rancho Cucamonga. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Rancho Cucamonga is home to the Etiwanda Fire Station and the John Rains House as well as Victoria Groves Park and Hermosa Park. Shopping malls in the area include Alta Loma Plaza Shopping Center, Alta Loma Square Shopping Center and AltaLoma Country Village Shopping Center.