Career and Education Opportunities for Outdoor Power Equipment Mechanics in Pasadena, California
Pasadena, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for outdoor power equipment mechanics. There are currently 1,900 working outdoor power equipment mechanics in California; this should grow 5% to about 2,000 working outdoor power equipment mechanics in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for outdoor power equipment mechanics are expected to grow by about 6.4%. Outdoor power equipment mechanics generally diagnose, adjust, or overhaul small engines used to power lawn mowers, chain saws, and related equipment.
Income for outdoor power equipment mechanics is about $14 per hour or $30,880 annually on average in California. Nationally, their income is about $13 per hour or $28,920 yearly. Compared with people working in the overall category of Specialized Equipment, people working as outdoor power equipment mechanics in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Specialized Equipment nationally.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Pasadena where you can study to be an outdoor power equipment mechanic, among 210 schools of higher education total in the Pasadena area. The most common level of education for outdoor power equipment mechanics is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become an outdoor power equipment mechanic if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Outdoor Power Equipment Mechanic
In general, outdoor power equipment mechanics diagnose, adjust, or overhaul small engines used to power lawn mowers, chain saws, and related equipment.
Outdoor power equipment mechanics dismantle engines, using hand tools, and examine parts for defects. They also test and inspect engines to establish malfunctions, to identify missing and broken parts, and to confirm fixes, using diagnostic instruments. Equally important, outdoor power equipment mechanics have to repair or remove faulty parts such as magnetos and carburetors, using hand tools. They are often called upon to perform routine maintenance such as cleaning and oiling parts, honing cylinders, and tuning ignition systems. They are expected to reassemble engines after repair or maintenance work is complete. Finally, outdoor power equipment mechanics remove engines from equipment, and position and bolt engines to repair stands.
Every day, outdoor power equipment mechanics are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to maintain precise control of objects and devices through a range of movements. It is also important that they move quickly in order to hold onto or control objects and devices.
It is important for outdoor power equipment mechanics to sell parts and equipment. Somewhat less frequently, outdoor power equipment mechanics are also expected to grind and retap parts to obtain specified clearances, using grinders, lathes, taps, reamers, boring equipment, and micrometers.
Outdoor power equipment mechanics sometimes are asked to repair and maintain gasoline engines used to power equipment such as portable saws and compressors. They also have to be able to remove engines from equipment, and position and bolt engines to repair stands and record fixes made and parts used. And finally, they sometimes have to perform routine maintenance such as cleaning and oiling parts, honing cylinders, and tuning ignition systems.
Like many other jobs, outdoor power equipment mechanics must be thorough and dependable and want to innovate to meet new challenges.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Pasadena include:
- Boat Mechanic. Repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
- Bus or Truck Garage Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul trucks, buses, and all types of diesel engines. Includes mechanics working primarily with automobile diesel engines.
- Camera Repair Technician. Repair and adjust cameras and photographic equipment, including commercial video and motion picture camera equipment.
- Commercial Diver. Work below surface of water, using scuba gear to inspect, repair, or install equipment and structures. May use a variety of power and hand tools, such as drills, sledgehammers, and welding equipment. May conduct tests or experiments, rig explosives, or photograph structures or marine life.
- Heating Equipment Installer. Install, service, and repair heating and air conditioning systems in residences and commercial establishments.
- Household Appliance Repairer. Repair, adjust, or install all types of electric or gas household appliances, such as refrigerators, washers, and ovens.
- Medical Equipment Repairer. Test, adjust, or repair biomedical or electromedical equipment.
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, and conveyors, used in construction, logging, and surface mining.
- Refrigeration Mechanic. Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
- Rigger. Set up or repair rigging for construction projects, manufacturing plants, logging yards, ships and shipyards, or for the entertainment industry.
- Vending Machine Mechanic. Install, service, or repair coin, vending, or amusement machines including video games, juke boxes, or slot machines.
- Watch and Clock Repairer. Repair, clean, and adjust mechanisms of timing instruments, such as watches and clocks.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Outdoor Power Equipment Mechanic Training
Los Angeles Trade Technical College - Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles Trade Technical College, 400 W Washington Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90015-4181. Los Angeles Trade Technical College is a large college located in Los Angeles, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,565 students. Los Angeles Trade Technical College has a less than one year program in Small Engine Mechanics and Repair Technology/Technician which graduated six students in 2008.
Citrus College - Glendora, CA
Citrus College, 1000 W Foothill Blvd, Glendora, CA 91741-1899. Citrus College is a large college located in Glendora, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 13,501 students. Citrus College has an associate's degree program in Small Engine Mechanics and Repair Technology/Technician.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Pasadena, California
Pasadena is located in Los Angeles County, California. It has a population of over 143,080, which has grown by 6.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Pasadena, 167, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Pasadena are priced at $298,000 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, thirty-nine new homes were constructed in Pasadena, down from one hundred thirty-three the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Pasadena are educational services, health care, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, educational services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 41.3% of Pasadena residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 17.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Pasadena is 9.7%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Pasadena residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 58.1%, is more than both the national and state average. Pasadena Church of God, All Saints Episcopal Church and Grace United Methodist Church are among the churches located in Pasadena. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Pasadena is home to the Annandale Golf Course and the Hill Avenue Branch Pasadena Public Library as well as Victory Park and Lower Arroyo Park. Shopping centers in the area include Hastings Ranch Plaza Shopping Center, Hastings Ranch Shopping Center and Plaza Pasadena Shopping Center. Visitors to Pasadena can choose from Best Western Pasadena Inn, Best Western Colorado Inn Pasa and Astro Motel Pasadena for temporary stays in the area.