Career and Education Opportunities for Typists in Oxnard, California
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for typists in the Oxnard, California area. There are currently 26,500 working typists in California; this should shrink by 8% to 24,300 working typists in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for typists are expected to shrink by about 5.7%. Typists generally type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording.
Typists earn approximately $17 hourly or $36,030 yearly on average in California. Nationally they average about $15 per hour or $31,390 per year. Typists earn less than people working in the category of Computer Operation generally in California and less than people in the Computer Operation category nationally.
The Oxnard area is home to sixteen schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Oxnard where you can get a degree as a typist. Given that the most common education level for typists is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a typist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Typist
In general, typists type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. They also may perform other clerical duties as assigned.
Typists print and make copies of their work. They also perform other clerical duties such as answering telephone, sorting and distributing mail, running errands or sending faxes. Equally important, typists have to type correspondence, reports, text and other written material from rough drafts, corrected copies, voice recordings, dictation or previous versions, using a computer or typewriter. They are often called upon to address envelopes or ready envelope labels, using typewriter or computer. They are expected to adjust settings for format and other style requirements. Finally, typists gather and arrange the material to be typed, following instructions.
Every day, typists are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they move their hands and fingers quickly.
It is important for typists to search for specific sets of stored, typed characters so as to make changes. They are often called upon to compute and verify totals on report forms or bills, using adding machine or calculator. They also keep archives of work performed. They are sometimes expected to transcribe stenotyped notes of court proceedings. Somewhat less frequently, typists are also expected to transmit work electronically to other locations.
Typists sometimes are asked to gather and arrange the material to be typed, following instructions. They also have to be able to reformat documents, moving paragraphs and/or columns And finally, they sometimes have to use data entry devices.
Like many other jobs, typists must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Oxnard include:
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Computer Systems Support Specialist. Monitor and control electronic computer and peripheral electronic data processing equipment to process business, scientific, and other data according to operating instructions. May enter commands at a computer terminal and set controls on computer and peripheral devices. Monitor and respond to operating and error messages.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Typist Training
Ventura Adult and Continuing Education - Ventura, CA
Ventura Adult and Continuing Education, 5200 Valentine Rd, Ventura, CA 93003-0000. Ventura Adult and Continuing Education is a small school located in Ventura, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 74 students. Ventura Adult and Continuing Education has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated eleven students in 2008.
Certified Broadcast Captioner: Prove you're on the cutting edge.
For more information, see the National Court Reporters Association website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Oxnard, California
Oxnard is situated in Ventura County, California. It has a population of over 185,717, which has grown by 9.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Oxnard, 132, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Oxnard are valued at $247,700 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, seventy-four new homes were built in Oxnard, down from two hundred five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Oxnard are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, construction, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 13.7% of Oxnard residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Oxnard is 15.0%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Oxnard residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.6%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. All Saints Episcopal Church, Park Avenue Church of Christ and Good Shepherd Baptist Church are all churches located in Oxnard. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Oxnard is home to the Silver K Golf Course and the Saint Johns Regional Medical Center Health Sciences Library as well as Plaza Park and Mandalay County Park. Shopping malls in the area include Esplanade Mall Shopping Center, Rose Shopping Center and Fremont Square Shopping Center. Visitors to Oxnard can choose from Best Western Oxnard Inn and Ambassador Motel for temporary stays in the area.