Career and Education Opportunities for Procurement Clerks in Oxnard, California
Procurement clerks can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Oxnard, California area. There are currently 6,600 working procurement clerks in California; this should grow 3% to about 6,800 working procurement clerks in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for procurement clerks are expected to grow by about 5.8%. In general, procurement clerks compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
A person working as a procurement clerk can expect to earn about $17 per hour or $36,880 annually on average in California and about $16 hourly or $34,780 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Procurement clerks earn more than people working in the category of Clerical generally in California and more than people in the Clerical category nationally.
There are sixteen schools of higher education in the Oxnard area, including one within twenty-five miles of Oxnard where you can get a degree to start your career as a procurement clerk. The most common level of education for procurement clerks is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a procurement clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Procurement Clerk
In general, procurement clerks compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
Procurement clerks respond to customer and supplier inquiries about order status or cancellations. They also track the status of requisitions and orders. Equally important, procurement clerks have to perform buying duties when needed. They are often called upon to contact suppliers so as to schedule or expedite deliveries and to deal with shortages, missed or late deliveries, and other problems. They are expected to ready purchase orders and send copies to suppliers and to departments originating requests. Finally, procurement clerks decide on if inventory quantities are sufficient for needs, ordering more materials when needed.
Every day, procurement clerks are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for procurement clerks to ready and review purchasing files, reports and price lists. They are often called upon to compare suppliers' bills with bids and purchase orders in order to confirm accuracy. They also locate suppliers, using sources such as catalogs and the internet, and interview them to gather data related to products to be ordered. They are sometimes expected to calculate costs of orders, and charge or forward invoices to appropriate accounts. Somewhat less frequently, procurement clerks are also expected to ready invitation-of-bid forms, and mail forms to supplier firms or distribute forms for public posting.
Procurement clerks sometimes are asked to monitor contractor performance, recommending contract modifications when needed. They also have to be able to inspect requisition orders in order to confirm accuracy and specifications And finally, they sometimes have to compare suppliers' bills with bids and purchase orders in order to confirm accuracy.
Like many other jobs, procurement clerks must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Oxnard include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Insurance Claims Processor. Obtain information from insured or designated persons for purpose of settling claim with insurance carrier.
- Insurance Processing Clerk. Process applications for, changes to, and cancellation of insurance policies. Duties include reviewing insurance applications to ensure that all questions have been answered, compiling data on insurance policy changes, changing policy records to conform to insured party's specifications, compiling data on lapsed insurance policies to determine automatic reinstatement according to company policies, canceling insurance policies as requested by agents, and verifying the accuracy of insurance company records.
- Interviewer. Interview persons by telephone, mail, or by other means for the purpose of completing forms, applications, or questionnaires. Ask specific questions, record answers, and assist persons with completing form. May sort, classify, and file forms.
- License Clerk. Issue licenses or permits to qualified applicants. Obtain necessary information; record data; advise applicants on requirements; collect fees; and issue licenses. May conduct oral, written, or performance testing.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Municipal Clerk. Draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Order Clerk. Receive and process incoming orders for materials, merchandise, or services such as repairs, installations, or rental of facilities. Duties include informing customers of receipt, prices, and delays; preparing contracts; and handling complaints.
- Receptionist. Answer inquiries and obtain information for general public, customers, and other interested parties. Provide information regarding activities conducted at establishment; location of departments, offices, and employees within organization.
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk. Verify and keep records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products.
- Weighter. Weigh, measure, and check materials, supplies, and equipment for the purpose of keeping relevant records. Duties are primarily clerical by nature.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Procurement Clerk Training
Ventura Adult and Continuing Education - Ventura, CA
Ventura Adult and Continuing Education, 5200 Valentine Rd, Ventura, CA 93003-0000. Ventura Adult and Continuing Education is a small school located in Ventura, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 74 students. Ventura Adult and Continuing Education has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated eleven students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Oxnard, California
Oxnard is situated in Ventura County, California. It has a population of over 185,717, which has grown by 9.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Oxnard, 132, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Oxnard are valued at $247,700 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, seventy-four new homes were built in Oxnard, down from two hundred five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Oxnard are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, construction, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 13.7% of Oxnard residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Oxnard is 15.0%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Oxnard residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.6%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. All Saints Episcopal Church, Park Avenue Church of Christ and Good Shepherd Baptist Church are all churches located in Oxnard. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Oxnard is home to the Silver K Golf Course and the Saint Johns Regional Medical Center Health Sciences Library as well as Plaza Park and Mandalay County Park. Shopping malls in the area include Esplanade Mall Shopping Center, Rose Shopping Center and Fremont Square Shopping Center. Visitors to Oxnard can choose from Best Western Oxnard Inn and Ambassador Motel for temporary stays in the area.