Career and Education Opportunities for Graphic Designers in Oxnard, California
Graphic designers can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Oxnard, California area. About 36,700 people are currently employed as graphic designers in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 14% to about 41,800 people employed. This is better than the national trend for graphic designers, which sees this job pool growing by about 12.9% over the next eight years. In general, graphic designers design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos.
Graphic designers earn approximately $24 per hour or $50,520 annually on average in California. Nationally they average about $20 per hour or $42,400 yearly. Earnings for graphic designers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Art and Design in California and not quite as good as general Art and Design category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: graphics coordinator, weapons designer, and graphic art designer.
The Oxnard area is home to sixteen schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Oxnard where you can get a degree as a graphic designer. The most common level of education for graphic designers is a Bachelor's degree. It will take about four years to learn to be a graphic designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Graphic Designer
In general, graphic designers design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. They also may use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
Graphic designers develop designs and sample layouts on the basis of knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts. They also maintain archives of images or previous work products. Equally important, graphic designers have to design negatives and prints to produce layout photographs, using negative and print developing equipment and tools. They are often called upon to use computer software to generate new images. They are expected to design graphics and layouts for product illustrations and Internet websites. Finally, graphic designers key data into computer equipment to generate layouts for clients or supervisors.
Every day, graphic designers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to be creative and generate new ideas.
It is important for graphic designers to mark up and assemble final layouts to ready layouts for printer. They are often called upon to produce still and animated graphics for on-air and taped portions of television news broadcasts, using electronic video equipment. They also research new software or layout concepts. They are sometimes expected to talk with clients to consider and decide on layout design. Somewhat less frequently, graphic designers are also expected to photograph layouts, using camera, to make layout prints for supervisors or clients.
Graphic designers sometimes are asked to inspect final layouts and suggest improvements as needed. And finally, they sometimes have to ready notes and instructions for staff who assemble and ready final layouts for printing.
Like many other jobs, graphic designers must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Oxnard include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Graphic Designer Training
Brooks Institute - Santa Barbara, CA
Brooks Institute, 1321 Alameda Padre Serra, Santa Barbara, CA 93108. Brooks Institute is a small school located in Santa Barbara, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,454 students and an admission rate of 32%. Brooks Institute has a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated sixteen students in 2008.
Ventura Adult and Continuing Education - Ventura, CA
Ventura Adult and Continuing Education, 5200 Valentine Rd, Ventura, CA 93003-0000. Ventura Adult and Continuing Education is a small school located in Ventura, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 74 students. Ventura Adult and Continuing Education has a less than one year program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated nine students in 2008.
Ventura College - Ventura, CA
Ventura College, 4667 Telegraph Rd, Ventura, CA 93003-3872. Ventura College is a large college located in Ventura, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 14,456 students. Ventura College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Commercial and Advertising Art.
Oxnard College - Oxnard, CA
Oxnard College, 4000 S Rose Ave, Oxnard, CA 93033-6699. Oxnard College is a medium sized college located in Oxnard, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,639 students. Oxnard College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design.
Moorpark College - Moorpark, CA
Moorpark College, 7075 Campus Rd, Moorpark, CA 93021-1695. Moorpark College is a large college located in Moorpark, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,842 students. Moorpark College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Graphic Design which graduated three and zero students respectively in 2008.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Oxnard, California
Oxnard is situated in Ventura County, California. It has a population of over 185,717, which has grown by 9.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Oxnard, 132, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Oxnard are valued at $247,700 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, seventy-four new homes were built in Oxnard, down from two hundred five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Oxnard are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, construction, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 13.7% of Oxnard residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Oxnard is 15.0%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Oxnard residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.6%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. All Saints Episcopal Church, Park Avenue Church of Christ and Good Shepherd Baptist Church are all churches located in Oxnard. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Oxnard is home to the Silver K Golf Course and the Saint Johns Regional Medical Center Health Sciences Library as well as Plaza Park and Mandalay County Park. Shopping malls in the area include Esplanade Mall Shopping Center, Rose Shopping Center and Fremont Square Shopping Center. Visitors to Oxnard can choose from Best Western Oxnard Inn and Ambassador Motel for temporary stays in the area.