Career and Education Opportunities for Display Specialists in Oxnard, California
Display specialists can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Oxnard, California area. Currently, 11,300 people work as display specialists in California. This is expected to grow 20% to about 13,500 people by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for display specialists are expected to grow by about 7.1%. Display specialists generally plan and erect commercial displays.
A person working as a display specialist can expect to earn about $12 hourly or $25,930 per year on average in California and about $12 per hour or $25,940 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as display specialists in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. Display specialists work in a variety of jobs, including: visual merchandiser , window trimmer apprentice, and display associate.
There are sixteen schools of higher education in the Oxnard area, including two within twenty-five miles of Oxnard where you can get a degree to start your career as a display specialist. Display specialists usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a display specialist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Display Specialist
In general, display specialists plan and erect commercial displays.
Display specialists change or rotate window displays, interior display areas, and signage to reflect changes in inventory or promotion. They also arrange properties and other accessories, as shown in prepared sketches. Equally important, display specialists have to formulate commercial displays to entice and appeal to customers. They are often called upon to design concepts or plans for merchandise displays or window decorations. Finally, display specialists confer with advertising and sales staff to establish types of products to be featured and time and place for each display.
Every day, display specialists are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to twist and stretch their arms and legs to get work done. It is also important that they visualize how things come together and can be organized.
It is important for display specialists to place prices and descriptive signs on backdrops or floor. They are often called upon to construct or assemble displays and display components from fabric and plastic, using hand tools and woodworking power tools, according to given requirements. They also collaborate with others to obtain products and other display items. They are sometimes expected to obtain plans from display designers or display managers, and consider their implementation with clients or supervisors. Somewhat less frequently, display specialists are also expected to maintain props and mannequins, inspecting them for imperfections and applying preservative coatings as needed.
Display specialists sometimes are asked to store and maintain records of props and display items. And finally, they sometimes have to construct or assemble displays and display components from fabric and plastic, using hand tools and woodworking power tools, according to given requirements.
Like many other jobs, display specialists must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Oxnard include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Display Specialist Training
Ventura Adult and Continuing Education - Ventura, CA
Ventura Adult and Continuing Education, 5200 Valentine Rd, Ventura, CA 93003-0000. Ventura Adult and Continuing Education is a small school located in Ventura, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 74 students. Ventura Adult and Continuing Education has a less than one year program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated nine students in 2008.
Ventura College - Ventura, CA
Ventura College, 4667 Telegraph Rd, Ventura, CA 93003-3872. Ventura College is a large college located in Ventura, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 14,456 students. Ventura College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Commercial and Advertising Art.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Oxnard, California
Oxnard is situated in Ventura County, California. It has a population of over 185,717, which has grown by 9.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Oxnard, 132, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Oxnard are valued at $247,700 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, seventy-four new homes were built in Oxnard, down from two hundred five the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Oxnard are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, construction, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 13.7% of Oxnard residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Oxnard is 15.0%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Oxnard residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.6%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. All Saints Episcopal Church, Park Avenue Church of Christ and Good Shepherd Baptist Church are all churches located in Oxnard. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Oxnard is home to the Silver K Golf Course and the Saint Johns Regional Medical Center Health Sciences Library as well as Plaza Park and Mandalay County Park. Shopping malls in the area include Esplanade Mall Shopping Center, Rose Shopping Center and Fremont Square Shopping Center. Visitors to Oxnard can choose from Best Western Oxnard Inn and Ambassador Motel for temporary stays in the area.