Career and Education Opportunities for Craftsmen in Ontario, California
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for craftsmen in the Ontario, California area. The national trend for craftsmen sees this job pool growing by about 7.2% over the next eight years. Craftsmen generally create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen earn about $18 per hour or $37,890 annually on average in California and about $13 per hour or $29,080 yearly on average nationally. Craftsmen earn less than people working in the category of Art and Design generally in California and less than people in the Art and Design category nationally. People working as craftsmen can fill a number of jobs, such as: fiber artist, ceramic artist, and art objects repairer.
There are twenty-two schools of higher education in the Ontario area, including one within twenty-five miles of Ontario where you can get a degree to start your career as a craftsman. Craftsmen usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a craftsman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Craftsman
In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen develop functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials. They also design product packaging, display and pricing strategies. Equally important, craftsmen have to attend craft shows to market products. They are often called upon to advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures. They are expected to design creative concepts for craft objects. Finally, craftsmen fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production.
Every day, craftsmen are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they move quickly in order to hold onto or control objects and devices.
It is important for craftsmen to apply finishes to objects being crafted. They are often called upon to design designs using specialized computer software. Somewhat less frequently, craftsmen are also expected to research craft trends and customer buying patterns so as to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
Craftsmen sometimes are asked to develop prototypes or models of objects to be crafted. And finally, they sometimes have to talk with customers to gauge customer needs or obtain feedback.
Like many other jobs, craftsmen must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Ontario include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Craftsman Training
Chaffey College - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Chaffey College, 5885 Haven Ave, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737-3002. Chaffey College is a large college located in Rancho Cucamonga, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,486 students. Chaffey College has 4 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Visual and Performing Arts, associate's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Art/Art Studies, associate's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- Drawing, associate's degree.
- Ceramic Arts and Ceramics, associate's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
Certified Decorative Artist: The Certified Decorative Artist applicant must pay the required fees and submit one piece of work for judging.
For more information, see the Society of Decorative Painters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Ontario, California
Ontario is situated in San Bernardino County, California. It has a population of over 171,691, which has grown by 8.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Ontario, 127, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Ontario are priced at $164,100 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, eight new homes were constructed in Ontario, down from three hundred seven the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Ontario are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 31 minutes. More than 10.5% of Ontario residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.7%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Ontario is 14.9%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Ontario residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 42.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses, Country Church of Ontario and Grace Missionary Baptist Church are all churches located in Ontario. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Ontario is home to the Ontario Motor Speedway and the West End Multi-Service Center as well as Del Rancho Park and Unity Park. Shopping malls in the area include Galvin Park Shopping Center, Vineyard Freeway Shopping Center and Ontario Vineyard Marketplace Shopping Center. Visitors to Ontario can choose from Best Western Ontario, Best Western Ontario Airport and Amerisuites Ontario Mills for temporary stays in the area.