Career and Education Opportunities for Middle School Teachers in Oceanside, California
Middle school teachers can find many career and educational opportunities in the Oceanside, California area. There are currently 57,000 working middle school teachers in California; this should grow 24% to about 70,900 working middle school teachers in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for middle school teachers are expected to grow by about 15.3%. In general, middle school teachers teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
The average wage in the general category of Primary and Secondary School Education jobs is $13 per hour or $54,227 per year in California, and an average of $11 per hour or $45,804 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Primary and Secondary School Education, people working as middle school teachers in California earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Primary and Secondary School Education nationally. Middle school teachers work in a variety of jobs, including: vocal music instructor, art teacher, and art instructor.
There are seven schools within twenty-five miles of Oceanside where you can study to be a middle school teacher, among fifty-seven schools of higher education total in the Oceanside area. Given that the most common education level for middle school teachers is a Bachelor's degree, it will take about four years to learn to be a middle school teacher if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Middle School Teacher
In general, middle school teachers teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
Middle school teachers attend staff meetings and serve on staff committees, as required. They also meet with other professionals to consider individual students' needs and progress. Equally important, middle school teachers have to establish and enforce rules for behavior and methods for maintaining order among students. They are often called upon to adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests. They are expected to attend professional meetings and teacher training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence. Finally, middle school teachers instruct and monitor students in the use and up keep of equipment and materials to inhibit injury and damage.
Every day, middle school teachers are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for middle school teachers to sponsor extracurricular efforts such as clubs and academic contests. They are often called upon to organize and supervise games and other recreational activities to promote physical and social development. They also ready materials and classrooms for class efforts. They are sometimes expected to furnish disabled students with assistive devices and assistance accessing facilities, such as restrooms. Somewhat less frequently, middle school teachers are also expected to maintain accurate and correct student records as required by laws and administrative regulations.
Middle school teachers sometimes are asked to establish clear objectives for all lessons and projects, and communicate these objectives to students. They also have to be able to get ready for assigned classes and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisors and meet with parents and guardians to consider their children's progress, and to establish their priorities for their children and their resource needs. And finally, they sometimes have to perform administrative duties such as assisting in school libraries, hall and cafeteria monitoring, and bus loading and unloading.
Like many other jobs, middle school teachers must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Oceanside include:
- Elementary School Teacher. Teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- High School Teacher. Instruct students in secondary public or private schools in one or more subjects at the secondary level, such as English, mathematics, or social studies. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Kindergarten Teacher. Teach elemental natural and social science, personal hygiene, and literature to children from 4 to 6 years old. Promote physical, mental, and social development. May be required to hold State certification.
- Preschool Teacher. Instruct children (normally up to 5 years of age) in activities designed to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth needed for primary school in preschool, day care center, or other child development facility. May be required to hold State certification.
- Teaching Assistant. Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Middle School Teacher Training
MiraCosta College - Oceanside, CA
MiraCosta College, One Barnard Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056-3899. MiraCosta College is a large college located in Oceanside, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,910 students. MiraCosta College has an associate's degree program in Health Teacher Education.
Alliant International University - San Diego, CA
Alliant International University, 10455 Pomerado Road, San Diego, CA 92131-1799. Alliant International University is a small university located in San Diego, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 4,097 students. Alliant International University has 2 areas of study related to Middle School Teacher. They are:
- Technology Teacher Education/Industrial Arts Teacher Education, doctor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Teacher Education & Professional Development, Specific Subject Areas, Other Specialties, postbaccalaureate certificate which graduated 22 students in 2008.
San Diego State University - San Diego, CA
San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Dr, San Diego, CA 92182. San Diego State University is a large university located in San Diego, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,889 students and an admission rate of 44%. San Diego State University has 2 areas of study related to Middle School Teacher. They are:
- Music Teacher Education, bachelor's degree which graduated 8 students in 2008.
- Science Teacher Education/General Science Teacher Education, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated four and one students respectively in 2008.
Interamerican College - National City, CA
Interamerican College, 1607 Hoover Ave, National City, CA 91950-4437. Interamerican College is a small college located in National City, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 57 students. Interamerican College has a postbaccalaureate certificate program in Teacher Education & Professional Development, Specific Subject Areas, Other Specialties which graduated two students in 2008.
National University - La Jolla, CA
National University, 11255 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037-1011. National University is a large university located in La Jolla, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 26,414 students. National University has 2 areas of study related to Middle School Teacher. They are:
- Technology Teacher Education/Industrial Arts Teacher Education, postbaccalaureate certificate and master's degree which graduated two and forty-four students respectively in 2008.
- Teacher Education & Professional Development, Specific Subject Areas, Other Specialties, postbaccalaureate certificate and master's degree which graduated twenty-seven and ten students respectively in 2008.
University of California-San Diego - La Jolla, CA
University of California-San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093. University of California-San Diego is a large university located in La Jolla, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 27,469 students and an admission rate of 42%. University of California-San Diego has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics Teacher Education which graduated one student in 2008.
Point Loma Nazarene University - San Diego, CA
Point Loma Nazarene University, 3900 Lomaland Dr, San Diego, CA 92106-2899. Point Loma Nazarene University is a small university located in San Diego, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,681 students and an admission rate of 78%. Point Loma Nazarene University has 2 areas of study related to Middle School Teacher. They are:
- Art Teacher Education, bachelor's degree.
- Music Teacher Education, bachelor's degree.
Licensing agency: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
Address: 1900 Capitol Avenue, P.O. Box 944270, Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 445-7254
Website: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
LOCATION INFORMATION: Oceanside, California
Oceanside is situated in San Diego County, California. It has a population of over 169,684, which has grown by 5.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Oceanside, 136, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Oceanside are valued at $388,600 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, fifty-two new homes were constructed in Oceanside, down from one hundred forty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Oceanside are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 29 minutes. More than 22.2% of Oceanside residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Oceanside is 10.0%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Oceanside residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.7%, is less than both the national and state average. King of Kins Lutheran Church, Temple Solel and Temple Juda are some of the churches located in Oceanside. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Oceanside is home to the Oceanside Community Center and the Oceanside-Carlsbad Country Club as well as Heritage Village Park and Libby Lake City Park. Shopping centers in the area include Fire Mountain Shopping Center, Rancho del Oro Plaza Shopping Center and Best Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Oceanside can choose from Beachwood Motel, Best Western Oceanside Inn and Best Western - Oceanside Inn for temporary stays in the area.