Career and Education Opportunities for Agriculture Professors in Oceanside, California
Agriculture professors can find many career and educational opportunities in the Oceanside, California area. Agriculture professors generally teach courses in the agricultural sciences.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Agriculture professors earn more than people working in the category of Postsecondary Education generally in California and more than people in the Postsecondary Education category nationally. People working as agriculture professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: animal husbandry teacher, soil conservation teacher, and olericulture teacher.
The Oceanside area is home to fifty-seven schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Oceanside where you can get a degree as an agriculture professor. Agriculture professors usually hold a Doctoral degree, so you can expect to spend four or five years studying to be an agriculture professor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or eight to ten years starting with a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Agriculture Professor
In general, agriculture professors teach courses in the agricultural sciences. They also includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
Agriculture professors keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, agriculture professors have to collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction. They are expected to participate in campus and community events. Finally, agriculture professors ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as crop production and soil chemistry.
Every day, agriculture professors are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for agriculture professors to act as advisers to student organizations. They are often called upon to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. They also furnish professional consulting services to government or industry. They are sometimes expected to write grant proposals to procure external research funding. Somewhat less frequently, agriculture professors are also expected to decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks and laboratory equipment.
They also have to be able to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students and serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
Like many other jobs, agriculture professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Oceanside include:
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- Elementary School Teacher. Teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Agriculture Professor Training
MiraCosta College - Oceanside, CA
MiraCosta College, One Barnard Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056-3899. MiraCosta College is a large college located in Oceanside, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,910 students. MiraCosta College has 7 areas of study related to Agriculture Professor. They are:
- Agribusiness/Agricultural Business Operations, less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated one, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Agricultural Production Operations, Other Specialties, two to four year.
- Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations, two to four year.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping, less than one year, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated seven, two, one, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Plant Nursery Operations and Management, less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated three, one, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Turf and Turfgrass Management, associate's degree and two to four year.
- Agriculture, Agriculture Operations, & Related Sciences, Other Specialties, less than one year which graduated 2 students in 2008.
Cuyamaca College - El Cajon, CA
Cuyamaca College, 900 Rancho San Diego Pky, El Cajon, CA 92019. Cuyamaca College is a medium sized college located in El Cajon, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,926 students. Cuyamaca College has 4 areas of study related to Agriculture Professor. They are:
- Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations, associate's degree and two to four year.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated five, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Plant Nursery Operations and Management, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated two, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Turf and Turfgrass Management, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated three, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
San Diego Mesa College - San Diego, CA
San Diego Mesa College, 7250 Mesa College Dr, San Diego, CA 92111-4998. San Diego Mesa College is a large college located in San Diego, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 21,460 students. San Diego Mesa College has a less than one year program in Landscaping and Groundskeeping.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Oceanside, California
Oceanside is situated in San Diego County, California. It has a population of over 169,684, which has grown by 5.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Oceanside, 136, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Oceanside are valued at $388,600 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, fifty-two new homes were constructed in Oceanside, down from one hundred forty-nine the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Oceanside are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 29 minutes. More than 22.2% of Oceanside residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Oceanside is 10.0%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Oceanside residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.7%, is less than both the national and state average. King of Kins Lutheran Church, Temple Solel and Temple Juda are some of the churches located in Oceanside. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Oceanside is home to the Oceanside Community Center and the Oceanside-Carlsbad Country Club as well as Heritage Village Park and Libby Lake City Park. Shopping centers in the area include Fire Mountain Shopping Center, Rancho del Oro Plaza Shopping Center and Best Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Oceanside can choose from Beachwood Motel, Best Western Oceanside Inn and Best Western - Oceanside Inn for temporary stays in the area.