Career and Education Opportunities for Telemarketers in Moreno Valley, California
Telemarketer career and educational opportunities abound in Moreno Valley, California. About 34,000 people are currently employed as telemarketers in California. By 2016, this is expected to shrink 11% to 30,200 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for telemarketers are expected to shrink by about 11.1%. In general, telemarketers solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Telemarketers earn approximately $12 hourly or $25,850 per year on average in California. Nationally they average about $10 hourly or $21,960 per year. Earnings for telemarketers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Sales and Clerical in California and not quite as good as general Sales and Clerical category earnings nationally.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Moreno Valley where you can study to be a telemarketer, among thirty-one schools of higher education total in the Moreno Valley area. Telemarketers usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a telemarketer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Telemarketer
In general, telemarketers solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Telemarketers explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from clients. They also obtain customer data such as name and payment method, and enter orders into computers. Finally, telemarketers deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation.
Every day, telemarketers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for telemarketers to record names and reactions of prospects contacted. They are often called upon to adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals. They also deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation. They are sometimes expected to contact businesses or private individuals by telephone in order to seek sales for goods or services, or to request donations for charitable causes. Somewhat less frequently, telemarketers are also expected to maintain records of contacts and orders.
Telemarketers sometimes are asked to answer telephone calls from potential clients who have been solicited through advertisements. They also have to be able to telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from clients or to follow up initial sales contacts and conduct client or market surveys so as to obtain data related to potential clients. And finally, they sometimes have to schedule appointments for sales representatives to meet with prospective clients or for clients to attend sales presentations.
Like many other jobs, telemarketers must be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Moreno Valley include:
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Telemarketer Training
Riverside Community College - Riverside, CA
Riverside Community College, 4800 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92506. Riverside Community College is a large college located in Riverside, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 34,058 students. Riverside Community College has 2 areas of study related to Telemarketer. They are:
- Insurance, associate's degree and two to four year.
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated seven, six, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Crafton Hills College - Yucaipa, CA
Crafton Hills College, 11711 Sand Canyon Road, Yucaipa, CA 92399-1799. Crafton Hills College is a medium sized college located in Yucaipa, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,964 students. Crafton Hills College has one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated one, one, and zero students respectively in 2008.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Moreno Valley, California
Moreno Valley is situated in Riverside County, California. It has a population of over 190,871, which has grown by 34.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Moreno Valley, 121, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Moreno Valley are priced at $225,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirty-two new homes were built in Moreno Valley, down from three hundred ninety-two the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Moreno Valley are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 35 minutes. More than 14.0% of Moreno Valley residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Moreno Valley is 17.3%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Moreno Valley residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Trinity Baptist Church, Sunnymead Wesleyan Church and Sunnymead Baptist Temple are some of the churches located in Moreno Valley. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Moreno Valley is home to the Sunnymead Chamber of Commerce and the Lawless Ranch as well as Pedrorena Park and John F Kennedy Veterans Memorial Park. Shopping centers in the area include Moreno Valley Mall at Towngate Shopping Center, Moreno Valley Plaza Shopping Center and Moreno Valley Shopping Center. Visitors to Moreno Valley can choose from Best Western Image Suites and Best Western Image Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.