Career and Education Opportunities for Cashiers in Moreno Valley, California
There are many career and education opportunities for cashiers in the Moreno Valley, California area. The national trend for cashiers sees this job pool growing by about 3.5% over the next eight years. Cashiers generally receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions.
Cashiers earn approximately $9 per hour or $19,540 annually on average in California. Nationally they average about $8 per hour or $17,660 yearly. Cashiers earn less than people working in the category of Sales and Clerical generally in California and less than people in the Sales and Clerical category nationally.
There are thirty-one schools of higher education in the Moreno Valley area, including three within twenty-five miles of Moreno Valley where you can get a degree to start your career as a cashier. The most common level of education for cashiers is less than a high school diploma. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become a cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cashier
In general, cashiers receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. They also usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment.
Cashiers issue receipts or change due to clients. They also maintain clean and orderly checkout areas. Equally important, cashiers have to establish or identify prices of goods, services or admission, and tabulate bills using calculators or optical price scanners. They are often called upon to receive payment by cash or automatic debits. They are expected to answer clients' questions, and furnish data on procedures or policies. Finally, cashiers count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to insure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.
Every day, cashiers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they understand what others are saying to them even in a noisy environment.
It is important for cashiers to cash checks for clients. They are often called upon to issue trading stamps, and redeem food stamps and coupons. They also compile and maintain non-monetary reports and records. They are sometimes expected to sell tickets and other items to clients. Somewhat less frequently, cashiers are also expected to compute and record totals of transactions.
Cashiers sometimes are asked to monitor checkout stations to insure that they have adequate cash available and that they are staffed appropriately. They also have to be able to post charges against guests' or patients' accounts and offer clients carry-out service at the close transactions. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and maintain non-monetary reports and records.
Like many other jobs, cashiers must have exceptional integrity and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Moreno Valley include:
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cashier Training
San Bernardino Valley College - San Bernardino, CA
San Bernardino Valley College, 701 South Mount Vernon Avenue, San Bernardino, CA 92410-2798. San Bernardino Valley College is a large college located in San Bernardino, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 13,317 students. San Bernardino Valley College has a one to two year and a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated five and zero students respectively in 2008.
Riverside Community College - Riverside, CA
Riverside Community College, 4800 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92506. Riverside Community College is a large college located in Riverside, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 34,058 students. Riverside Community College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations.
Crafton Hills College - Yucaipa, CA
Crafton Hills College, 11711 Sand Canyon Road, Yucaipa, CA 92399-1799. Crafton Hills College is a medium sized college located in Yucaipa, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,964 students. Crafton Hills College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated three, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Hospitality Skills Certification for Retail Cashier: Skill and knowledge training is the responsibility of property management and the participant.
For more information, see the Educational Institute of the American Hotel and Lodging Association website.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Moreno Valley, California
Moreno Valley is situated in Riverside County, California. It has a population of over 190,871, which has grown by 34.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Moreno Valley, 121, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Moreno Valley are priced at $225,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirty-two new homes were built in Moreno Valley, down from three hundred ninety-two the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Moreno Valley are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 35 minutes. More than 14.0% of Moreno Valley residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Moreno Valley is 17.3%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Moreno Valley residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Trinity Baptist Church, Sunnymead Wesleyan Church and Sunnymead Baptist Temple are some of the churches located in Moreno Valley. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Moreno Valley is home to the Sunnymead Chamber of Commerce and the Lawless Ranch as well as Pedrorena Park and John F Kennedy Veterans Memorial Park. Shopping centers in the area include Moreno Valley Mall at Towngate Shopping Center, Moreno Valley Plaza Shopping Center and Moreno Valley Shopping Center. Visitors to Moreno Valley can choose from Best Western Image Suites and Best Western Image Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.