Career and Education Opportunities for Math Professors in Moreno Valley, California
Math professors can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Moreno Valley, California area. Math professors generally teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Math professors earn more than people working in the category of Postsecondary Education generally in California and less than people in the Postsecondary Education category nationally. Jobs in this field include: statistical methods teacher, college professor, and cryptography teacher.
The Moreno Valley area is home to thirty-one schools of higher education, including eight within twenty-five miles of Moreno Valley where you can get a degree as a math professor. Given that the most common education level for math professors is a Master's degree, it will take about six years to learn to be a math professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Math Professor
In general, math professors teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
Math professors ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They also maintain student attendance records and other required records. Equally important, math professors have to evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They are often called upon to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. They are expected to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction. Finally, math professors serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
Every day, math professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for math professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as linear algebra and discrete mathematics. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry. Somewhat less frequently, math professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
Math professors sometimes are asked to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in books or electronic media. and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Like many other jobs, math professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Moreno Valley include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Farm Management Adviser. Advise, instruct, and assist individuals and families engaged in agriculture, agricultural-related processes, or home economics activities. Demonstrate procedures and apply research findings to solve problems; instruct and train in product development, sales, and the utilization of machinery and equipment to promote general welfare. Includes county agricultural agents, feed and farm management advisers, home economists, and extension service advisors.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Math Professor Training
Copper Mountain Community College - Joshua Tree, CA
Copper Mountain Community College, 6162 Rotary Way, Joshua Tree, CA 92252. Copper Mountain Community College is a small college located in Joshua Tree, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 2,178 students. Copper Mountain Community College has an associate's degree program in Mathematics which graduated four students in 2008.
College of the Desert - Palm Desert, CA
College of the Desert, 43-500 Monterey Ave, Palm Desert, CA 92260. College of the Desert is a medium sized college located in Palm Desert, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,632 students. College of the Desert has an associate's degree program in Mathematics which graduated one student in 2008.
San Bernardino Valley College - San Bernardino, CA
San Bernardino Valley College, 701 South Mount Vernon Avenue, San Bernardino, CA 92410-2798. San Bernardino Valley College is a large college located in San Bernardino, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 13,317 students. San Bernardino Valley College has an associate's degree program in Mathematics which graduated ten students in 2008.
University of California-Riverside - Riverside, CA
University of California-Riverside, 900 University Ave, Riverside, CA 92521. University of California-Riverside is a large university located in Riverside, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 18,405 students and an admission rate of 87%. University of California-Riverside has 2 areas of study related to Math Professor. They are:
- Mathematics, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated four, twelve, and six students respectively in 2008.
- Statistics, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated two and twelve students respectively in 2008.
Mt. San Jacinto Community College District - San Jacinto, CA
Mt. San Jacinto Community College District, 1499 N State St, San Jacinto, CA 92583-2399. Mt. San Jacinto Community College District is a large college located in San Jacinto, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 18,162 students. Mt. San Jacinto Community College District has an associate's degree program in Mathematics which graduated fifteen students in 2008.
Crafton Hills College - Yucaipa, CA
Crafton Hills College, 11711 Sand Canyon Road, Yucaipa, CA 92399-1799. Crafton Hills College is a medium sized college located in Yucaipa, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,964 students. Crafton Hills College has an associate's degree program in Mathematics which graduated seven students in 2008.
California Baptist University - Riverside, CA
California Baptist University, 8432 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504-3297. California Baptist University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,013 students and an admission rate of 74%. California Baptist University has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics which graduated two students in 2008.
La Sierra University - Riverside, CA
La Sierra University, 4500 Riverwalk Parkway, Riverside, CA 92515-8247. La Sierra University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,899 students and an admission rate of 55%. La Sierra University has a bachelor's degree program in Mathematics which graduated one student in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Moreno Valley, California
Moreno Valley is situated in Riverside County, California. It has a population of over 190,871, which has grown by 34.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Moreno Valley, 121, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Moreno Valley are priced at $225,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirty-two new homes were built in Moreno Valley, down from three hundred ninety-two the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Moreno Valley are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 35 minutes. More than 14.0% of Moreno Valley residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Moreno Valley is 17.3%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Moreno Valley residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Trinity Baptist Church, Sunnymead Wesleyan Church and Sunnymead Baptist Temple are some of the churches located in Moreno Valley. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Moreno Valley is home to the Sunnymead Chamber of Commerce and the Lawless Ranch as well as Pedrorena Park and John F Kennedy Veterans Memorial Park. Shopping centers in the area include Moreno Valley Mall at Towngate Shopping Center, Moreno Valley Plaza Shopping Center and Moreno Valley Shopping Center. Visitors to Moreno Valley can choose from Best Western Image Suites and Best Western Image Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.