Career and Education Opportunities for Retail Sales Managers in Modesto, California
If you want to be a retail sales manager, the Modesto, California area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. About 188,900 people are currently employed as retail sales managers in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 12% to 210,600 people employed. This is better than the national trend for retail sales managers, which sees this job pool growing by about 5.2% over the next eight years. Retail sales managers generally directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department.
Retail sales managers earn approximately $17 hourly or $36,860 annually on average in California. Nationally they average about $16 per hour or $35,310 annually. Compared with people working in the overall category of Sales and Clerical, people working as retail sales managers in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Sales and Clerical nationally.
There are twenty-one schools of higher education in the Modesto area, including four within twenty-five miles of Modesto where you can get a degree to start your career as a retail sales manager. Retail sales managers usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a retail sales manager if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Retail Sales Manager
In general, retail sales managers directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. They also duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
Retail sales managers assign employees to specific duties. They also examine product to insure that it is correctly priced and displayed and that it functions as advertised. Equally important, retail sales managers have to furnish customer service by greeting and assisting clients, and responding to customer inquiries and complaints. They are often called upon to direct and supervise employees working on sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for clients. They are expected to instruct staff on how to handle difficult and complicated sales. Finally, retail sales managers monitor sales efforts to insure that clients receive satisfactory service and quality goods.
Every day, retail sales managers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they write clearly and communicate well.
It is important for retail sales managers to formulate and make ready work schedules and keep records of employees' work schedules and time cards. They are often called upon to establish and implement policies, goals and processes for their department. They also inventory stock and reorder when inventory drops to a specified level. They are sometimes expected to hire and evaluate personnel in sales or marketing establishments, promoting or firing staff when appropriate. Somewhat less frequently, retail sales managers are also expected to direct and supervise employees working on sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for clients.
Retail sales managers sometimes are asked to examine products purchased for resale or received for storage to gauge the state of each product or item. and enforce safety and security rules. And finally, they sometimes have to establish credit policies and operating procedures.
Like many other jobs, retail sales managers must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Modesto include:
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Retail Sales Manager Training
Modesto Junior College - Modesto, CA
Modesto Junior College, 435 College Ave, Modesto, CA 95350-5800. Modesto Junior College is a large college located in Modesto, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,000 students. Modesto Junior College has 2 areas of study related to Retail Sales Manager. They are:
- Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management, two to four year.
- Retailing and Retail Operations, two to four year.
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has 3 areas of study related to Retail Sales Manager. They are:
- Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management, two to four year.
- Retailing and Retail Operations, one to two year and two to four year which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Business, Management, Marketing, & Related Support Services, Other Specialties, two to four year.
Merced College - Merced, CA
Merced College, 3600 M St, Merced, CA 95348-2898. Merced College is a large college located in Merced, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,028 students. Merced College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
California State University-Stanislaus - Turlock, CA
California State University-Stanislaus, One University Circle, Turlock, CA 95382. California State University-Stanislaus is a medium sized university located in Turlock, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,600 students and an admission rate of 65%. California State University-Stanislaus has a bachelor's degree program in Business, Management, Marketing, & Related Support Services, Other Specialties which graduated five students in 2008.
Certified Collegiate Retailer: Every journey has a destination-make yours the Certified Collegiate Retailer (CCR) designation.
For more information, see the National Association of College Bookstores website.
Certified Professional SalesPerson: Whether you're an experienced sales professional looking to take your career to the next level, or new to sales and looking to accelerate your learning curve and income, becoming a NASP Certified Professional SalesPerson (CPSP) will help you get there.
For more information, see the National Association of Sales Professionals website.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Modesto, California
Modesto is located in Stanislaus County, California. It has a population of over 202,967, which has grown by 7.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Modesto, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Modesto cost $208,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirteen new homes were constructed in Modesto, down from two hundred eighty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Modesto are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 16.5% of Modesto residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Modesto is 14.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Modesto residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Livingway Tabernacle, Seventh Day Adventist Church and Bethel Pentecostal Church are all churches located in Modesto. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Salvation Army and the Assemblies of God.
Modesto is home to the King-Kennedy Center and the McClure Historical Country House as well as Muncy Park and John Muir Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roosevelt Shopping Center, Gregory Gardens Shopping Center and Western Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Modesto can choose from Best Western Town House Lodge, Apex Inn and Arrow Inn for temporary stays in the area.