Career and Education Opportunities for Product Demonstrators in Modesto, California
There are many career and education opportunities for product demonstrators in the Modesto, California area. There are currently 14,100 jobs for product demonstrators in California and this is projected to grow 18% to 16,600 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for product demonstrators are expected to grow by about 7.1%. Product demonstrators generally demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product.
Income for product demonstrators is about $11 hourly or $23,660 yearly on average in California. Nationally, their income is about $11 per hour or $23,260 per year. Compared with people working in the overall category of Sales and Clerical, people working as product demonstrators in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Sales and Clerical nationally.
The Modesto area is home to twenty-one schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Modesto where you can get a degree as a product demonstrator. Given that the most common education level for product demonstrators is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a product demonstrator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Product Demonstrator
In general, product demonstrators demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. They also may sell demonstrated merchandise.
Product demonstrators furnish product samples and other incentives to convince people to buy products. They also record and report demonstration-related data such as the quantity of questions asked by the audience and the quantity of coupons distributed. Equally important, product demonstrators have to demonstrate and explain products, methods, or services so as to persuade clients to acquire products or utilize services. They are often called upon to suggest specific product purchases to meet clients' needs. They are expected to identify interested and qualified clients in order to furnish them with additional data. Finally, product demonstrators make ready and alter presentation contents to target specific audiences.
Every day, product demonstrators are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for product demonstrators to sell products being promoted, and keep records of sales. They are often called upon to work as part of a team of demonstrators to deal with large crowds. They also practice demonstrations to insure that they will run smoothly. They are sometimes expected to visit trade shows and other venues to exhibit products or services, and to respond to questions from potential clients. Somewhat less frequently, product demonstrators are also expected to train demonstrators to present a company's products or services.
Product demonstrators sometimes are asked to transport and disassemble materials used in presentations. They also have to be able to contact businesses and civic establishments to organize to exhibit and sell product And finally, they sometimes have to instruct clients in modification of products.
Like many other jobs, product demonstrators must be reliable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Modesto include:
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Product Demonstrator Training
Modesto Junior College - Modesto, CA
Modesto Junior College, 435 College Ave, Modesto, CA 95350-5800. Modesto Junior College is a large college located in Modesto, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,000 students. Modesto Junior College has a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations.
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has a one to two year and a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
Merced College - Merced, CA
Merced College, 3600 M St, Merced, CA 95348-2898. Merced College is a large college located in Merced, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,028 students. Merced College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Modesto, California
Modesto is located in Stanislaus County, California. It has a population of over 202,967, which has grown by 7.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Modesto, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Modesto cost $208,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirteen new homes were constructed in Modesto, down from two hundred eighty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Modesto are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 16.5% of Modesto residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Modesto is 14.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Modesto residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Livingway Tabernacle, Seventh Day Adventist Church and Bethel Pentecostal Church are all churches located in Modesto. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Salvation Army and the Assemblies of God.
Modesto is home to the King-Kennedy Center and the McClure Historical Country House as well as Muncy Park and John Muir Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roosevelt Shopping Center, Gregory Gardens Shopping Center and Western Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Modesto can choose from Best Western Town House Lodge, Apex Inn and Arrow Inn for temporary stays in the area.