Career and Education Opportunities for Policemen in Modesto, California
If you want to be a policeman, the Modesto, California area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. There are currently 61,300 jobs for policemen in California and this is projected to grow by 18% to about 72,200 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for policemen, which sees this job pool growing by about 8.7% over the next eight years. Policemen generally patrol assigned areas to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, and arrest violators.
Policemen earn about $36 per hour or $75,310 per year on average in California and about $24 hourly or $51,410 per year on average nationally. Compared with people working in the overall category of Police and Security, people working as policemen in California earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Police and Security nationally. Policemen work in a variety of jobs, including: city constable, protective officer, and patrol sergeant.
The Modesto area is home to twenty-one schools of higher education, including three within twenty-five miles of Modesto where you can get a degree as a policeman. The most common level of education for policemen is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become a policeman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Policeman
In general, policemen patrol assigned areas to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, and arrest violators.
Policemen record facts to ready reports that document incidents and efforts. They also identify and arrest suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts. Equally important, policemen have to track and investigate suspicious persons and situations and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area. They are often called upon to provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people, and promoting good community relations. They are expected to testify in court to present evidence or act as witness in traffic and criminal cases. Finally, policemen relay complaint and emergency-request data to appropriate agency dispatchers.
Every day, policemen are expected to be able to respond quickly in general. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for policemen to evaluate complaint and emergency-request data to establish response requirements. They are often called upon to process prisoners, and ready and maintain records of prisoner bookings and prisoner status during booking and pre-trial process. They also act as official escorts. Somewhat less frequently, policemen are also expected to examine public establishments to insure adherence to rules and regulations.
Policemen sometimes are asked to track traffic to insure motorists observe traffic rules and exhibit safe driving procedures. And finally, they sometimes have to inspect facts of incidents to establish if criminal acts or statute violations were involved.
Like many other jobs, policemen must have exceptional integrity and have strong self control in the face of challenging situations.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Modesto include:
- Chief of Police. Supervise and coordinate activities of members of police force.
- Correctional Officer. Guard inmates in penal or rehabilitative institution in accordance with established regulations and procedures. May guard prisoners in transit between jail, courtroom, or other point. Includes deputy sheriffs and police who spend the majority of their time guarding prisoners in correctional institutions.
- Criminal Investigator. Investigate alleged or suspected criminal violations of Federal, state, or local laws to determine if evidence is sufficient to recommend prosecution.
- Customs Inspector. Investigate and inspect persons, common carriers, and merchandise, arriving in or departing from the United States or between states to detect violations of immigration and customs laws and regulations.
- Fire Code Inspector. Inspect buildings and equipment to detect fire hazards and enforce state and local regulations.
- Forest Fire Lookout. Enforce fire regulations and inspect for forest fire hazards. Report forest fires and weather conditions.
- Police Officer. Conduct investigations to prevent crimes or solve criminal cases.
- Police Records Officer. Collect evidence at crime scenes, classify and identify fingerprints, and photograph evidence for use in criminal and civil cases.
- Private Investigator. Detect occurrences of unlawful acts or infractions of rules in private establishment, or seek, examine, and compile information for client.
- Sheriff. Enforce law and order in rural or unincorporated districts or serve legal processes of courts. May patrol courthouse, guard court or grand jury, or escort defendants.
- Transportation Security Officer. Inspect baggage or cargo and screen passengers to detect and prevent potentially dangerous objects from being transported into secure areas or onto aircraft.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Policeman Training
Modesto Junior College - Modesto, CA
Modesto Junior College, 435 College Ave, Modesto, CA 95350-5800. Modesto Junior College is a large college located in Modesto, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,000 students. Modesto Junior College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Criminal Justice/Police Science which graduated one, fifty-one, and zero students respectively in 2008.
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Criminal Justice/Police Science which graduated twenty-two and ten students respectively in 2008.
Merced College - Merced, CA
Merced College, 3600 M St, Merced, CA 95348-2898. Merced College is a large college located in Merced, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,028 students. Merced College has one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Criminal Justice/Police Science which graduated one, nineteen, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Oxygen Administration: Prepares laypersons and professional rescuers with the knowledge and skills needed to know when and how to use supplemental oxygen and breathing devices.
For more information, see the American Red Cross website.
Police Service Dog Certification: This test is to determine if the police service dog is capable of performing on and off lead obedience exercises.
For more information, see the Eastern States Working Dog Association, INC website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Modesto, California
Modesto is located in Stanislaus County, California. It has a population of over 202,967, which has grown by 7.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Modesto, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Modesto cost $208,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirteen new homes were constructed in Modesto, down from two hundred eighty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Modesto are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 16.5% of Modesto residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Modesto is 14.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Modesto residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Livingway Tabernacle, Seventh Day Adventist Church and Bethel Pentecostal Church are all churches located in Modesto. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Salvation Army and the Assemblies of God.
Modesto is home to the King-Kennedy Center and the McClure Historical Country House as well as Muncy Park and John Muir Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roosevelt Shopping Center, Gregory Gardens Shopping Center and Western Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Modesto can choose from Best Western Town House Lodge, Apex Inn and Arrow Inn for temporary stays in the area.