Career and Education Opportunities for Order Fillers in Modesto, California
Order fillers can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Modesto, California area. There are currently 198,000 working order fillers in California; this should grow by 1% to about 199,800 working order fillers in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for order fillers are expected to grow by about 7.2%. In general, order fillers fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms.
A person working as an order filler can expect to earn about $10 hourly or $22,120 per year on average in California and about $10 hourly or $20,800 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Incomes for order fillers are not quite as good as in the overall category of Dispatching and Logistics in California, and not quite as good as the overall Dispatching and Logistics category nationally.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Modesto where you can study to be an order filler, among twenty-one schools of higher education total in the Modesto area. The most common level of education for order fillers is less than a high school diploma. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become an order filler if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Order Filler
In general, order fillers fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. They also duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
Order fillers obtain products from bins or shelves. Finally, order fillers read orders to ascertain catalog numbers and quantities of products.
Every day, order fillers are expected to be able to read and understand documents and reports. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for order fillers to requisition additional materials and equipment. They are often called upon to compute prices of items or groups of items. They also keep archives of out-going orders. They are sometimes expected to complete order receipts. Somewhat less frequently, order fillers are also expected to complete order receipts.
and place products on conveyors leading to wrapping areas. And finally, they sometimes have to read orders to ascertain catalog numbers and quantities of products.
Like many other jobs, order fillers must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Modesto include:
- Dispatcher. Schedule and dispatch workers, work crews, or service vehicles for conveyance of materials, freight, or passengers, or for normal installation, service, or emergency repairs rendered outside the place of business. Duties may include using radio, telephone, or computer to transmit assignments and compiling statistics and reports on work progress.
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Freight Representative. Expedite and route movement of incoming and outgoing cargo and freight shipments in airline, train, and trucking terminals, and shipping docks. Take orders from customers and arrange pickup of freight and cargo for delivery to loading platform. Prepare and examine bills of lading to determine shipping charges and tariffs.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk. Verify and keep records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Order Filler Training
Modesto Junior College - Modesto, CA
Modesto Junior College, 435 College Ave, Modesto, CA 95350-5800. Modesto Junior College is a large college located in Modesto, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,000 students. Modesto Junior College has a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations.
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has a one to two year and a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
Merced College - Merced, CA
Merced College, 3600 M St, Merced, CA 95348-2898. Merced College is a large college located in Merced, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,028 students. Merced College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
Certified Materials & Resource Professional: CMRP status provides both internal and external rewards.
For more information, see the Association for Healthcare Resource & Materials Management website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Modesto, California
Modesto is located in Stanislaus County, California. It has a population of over 202,967, which has grown by 7.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Modesto, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Modesto cost $208,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirteen new homes were constructed in Modesto, down from two hundred eighty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Modesto are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 16.5% of Modesto residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Modesto is 14.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Modesto residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Livingway Tabernacle, Seventh Day Adventist Church and Bethel Pentecostal Church are all churches located in Modesto. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Salvation Army and the Assemblies of God.
Modesto is home to the King-Kennedy Center and the McClure Historical Country House as well as Muncy Park and John Muir Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roosevelt Shopping Center, Gregory Gardens Shopping Center and Western Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Modesto can choose from Best Western Town House Lodge, Apex Inn and Arrow Inn for temporary stays in the area.