Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Modesto, California
Modesto, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for legislators. Currently, 2,800 people work as legislators in California. This is expected to grow 11% to 3,100 people by 2016. This is better than the national trend for legislators, which sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $43 per hour or $86,068 per year in California, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Specialized Management, people working as legislators in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Specialized Management nationally. Legislators work in a variety of jobs, including: senator, u.s. senator, and congressman.
There are twenty-one schools of higher education in the Modesto area, including one within twenty-five miles of Modesto where you can get a degree to start your career as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Modesto include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
California State University-Stanislaus - Turlock, CA
California State University-Stanislaus, One University Circle, Turlock, CA 95382. California State University-Stanislaus is a medium sized university located in Turlock, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,600 students and an admission rate of 65%. California State University-Stanislaus has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated sixteen students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Modesto, California
Modesto is located in Stanislaus County, California. It has a population of over 202,967, which has grown by 7.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Modesto, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Modesto cost $208,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirteen new homes were constructed in Modesto, down from two hundred eighty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Modesto are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 16.5% of Modesto residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Modesto is 14.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Modesto residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Livingway Tabernacle, Seventh Day Adventist Church and Bethel Pentecostal Church are all churches located in Modesto. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Salvation Army and the Assemblies of God.
Modesto is home to the King-Kennedy Center and the McClure Historical Country House as well as Muncy Park and John Muir Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roosevelt Shopping Center, Gregory Gardens Shopping Center and Western Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Modesto can choose from Best Western Town House Lodge, Apex Inn and Arrow Inn for temporary stays in the area.