Career and Education Opportunities for Boat Mechanics in Modesto, California
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for boat mechanics in the Modesto, California area. There are currently 1,600 working boat mechanics in California; this should grow by 13% to about 1,800 working boat mechanics in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for boat mechanics, which sees this job pool growing by about 5.6% over the next eight years. Boat mechanics generally repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
The income of a boat mechanic is about $17 per hour or $36,870 per year on average in California. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $16 per hour or $34,520 per year on average. Earnings for boat mechanics are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Specialized Equipment in California and not quite as good as general Specialized Equipment category earnings nationally.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Modesto where you can study to be a boat mechanic, among twenty-one schools of higher education total in the Modesto area. Given that the most common education level for boat mechanics is a post-secondary certificate, you can expect to spend a short time training to become a boat mechanic if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Boat Mechanic
In general, boat mechanics repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
Boat mechanics disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges. They also examine and repair or adjust propellers and propeller shafts. Equally important, boat mechanics have to idle motors and observe thermometers to establish the effectiveness of cooling systems. They are often called upon to document inspection and test results, and work performed or to be performed. They are expected to mount motors to boats and operate boats at various speeds on waterways to conduct operational tests. Finally, boat mechanics repair or rework parts, using machine tools such as lathes and grinders.
Every day, boat mechanics are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for boat mechanics to adjust generators and remove faulty wiring, using hand tools and soldering irons. Somewhat less frequently, boat mechanics are also expected to start motors, and monitor performance for signs of malfunctioning such as smoke and misfiring.
And finally, they sometimes have to disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges.
Like many other jobs, boat mechanics must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Modesto include:
- Bus or Truck Garage Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul trucks, buses, and all types of diesel engines. Includes mechanics working primarily with automobile diesel engines.
- Farm Equipment Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul farm machinery and vehicles, such as tractors, harvesters, and irrigation systems.
- Heating Equipment Installer. Install, service, and repair heating and air conditioning systems in residences and commercial establishments.
- Household Appliance Repairer. Repair, adjust, or install all types of electric or gas household appliances, such as refrigerators, washers, and ovens.
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, and conveyors, used in construction, logging, and surface mining.
- Outdoor Power Equipment Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul small engines used to power lawn mowers, chain saws, and related equipment.
- Refrigeration Mechanic. Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
- Signal and Track Switch Repairer. Install, inspect, or repair electric gate crossings, signals, or intercommunications systems within a railroad system.
- Vending Machine Mechanic. Install, service, or repair coin, vending, or amusement machines including video games, juke boxes, or slot machines.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Boat Mechanic Training
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has a two to four year program in Small Engine Mechanics and Repair Technology/Technician.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Modesto, California
Modesto is located in Stanislaus County, California. It has a population of over 202,967, which has grown by 7.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Modesto, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Modesto cost $208,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirteen new homes were constructed in Modesto, down from two hundred eighty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Modesto are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 16.5% of Modesto residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Modesto is 14.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Modesto residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Livingway Tabernacle, Seventh Day Adventist Church and Bethel Pentecostal Church are all churches located in Modesto. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Salvation Army and the Assemblies of God.
Modesto is home to the King-Kennedy Center and the McClure Historical Country House as well as Muncy Park and John Muir Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roosevelt Shopping Center, Gregory Gardens Shopping Center and Western Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Modesto can choose from Best Western Town House Lodge, Apex Inn and Arrow Inn for temporary stays in the area.