Career and Education Opportunities for Graphic Designers in Modesto, California
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for graphic designers in the Modesto, California area. About 36,700 people are currently employed as graphic designers in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 14% to about 41,800 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for graphic designers are expected to grow by about 12.9%. In general, graphic designers design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos.
Graphic designers earn approximately $24 per hour or $50,520 per year on average in California. Nationally they average about $20 per hour or $42,400 annually. Incomes for graphic designers are not quite as good as in the overall category of Art and Design in California, and not quite as good as the overall Art and Design category nationally. Jobs in this field include: concept artist, creative manager, and studio designer.
There are five schools within twenty-five miles of Modesto where you can study to be a graphic designer, among twenty-one schools of higher education total in the Modesto area. Given that the most common education level for graphic designers is a Bachelor's degree, it will take about four years to learn to be a graphic designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Graphic Designer
In general, graphic designers design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. They also may use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
Graphic designers develop designs and sample layouts on the basis of knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts. They also maintain archives of images or previous work products. Equally important, graphic designers have to design negatives and prints to produce layout photographs, using negative and print developing equipment and tools. They are often called upon to use computer software to generate new images. They are expected to design graphics and layouts for product illustrations and Internet websites. Finally, graphic designers key data into computer equipment to generate layouts for clients or supervisors.
Every day, graphic designers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to be creative and generate new ideas.
It is important for graphic designers to mark up and assemble final layouts to ready layouts for printer. They are often called upon to produce still and animated graphics for on-air and taped portions of television news broadcasts, using electronic video equipment. They also research new software or layout concepts. They are sometimes expected to talk with clients to consider and decide on layout design. Somewhat less frequently, graphic designers are also expected to photograph layouts, using camera, to make layout prints for supervisors or clients.
Graphic designers sometimes are asked to inspect final layouts and suggest improvements as needed. And finally, they sometimes have to ready notes and instructions for staff who assemble and ready final layouts for printing.
Like many other jobs, graphic designers must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Modesto include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Graphic Designer Training
Modesto Junior College - Modesto, CA
Modesto Junior College, 435 College Ave, Modesto, CA 95350-5800. Modesto Junior College is a large college located in Modesto, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,000 students. Modesto Junior College has 2 areas of study related to Graphic Designer. They are:
- Computer Graphics, associate's degree and two to four year.
- Graphic Design, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated three, nine, and zero students respectively in 2008.
University of the Pacific - Stockton, CA
University of the Pacific, 3601 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95211-0197. University of the Pacific is a medium sized university located in Stockton, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,251 students and an admission rate of 69%. University of the Pacific has a bachelor's degree program in Commercial and Advertising Art.
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has a one to two year and a two to four year program in Graphic Design which graduated six and zero students respectively in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop - Lathrop, CA
ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop, 16916 S. Harlan Rd, Lathrop, CA 95330. ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop is a small school located in Lathrop, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 772 students and an admission rate of 49%. ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop has 2 areas of study related to Graphic Designer. They are:
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, associate's degree which graduated 28 students in 2008.
- Design and Visual Communications, associate's degree.
Merced College - Merced, CA
Merced College, 3600 M St, Merced, CA 95348-2898. Merced College is a large college located in Merced, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,028 students. Merced College has a two to four year program in Commercial and Advertising Art.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Modesto, California
Modesto is located in Stanislaus County, California. It has a population of over 202,967, which has grown by 7.5% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Modesto, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Modesto cost $208,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred thirteen new homes were constructed in Modesto, down from two hundred eighty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Modesto are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and educational services. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 16.5% of Modesto residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Modesto is 14.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Modesto residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Livingway Tabernacle, Seventh Day Adventist Church and Bethel Pentecostal Church are all churches located in Modesto. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Salvation Army and the Assemblies of God.
Modesto is home to the King-Kennedy Center and the McClure Historical Country House as well as Muncy Park and John Muir Park. Shopping malls in the area include Roosevelt Shopping Center, Gregory Gardens Shopping Center and Western Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Modesto can choose from Best Western Town House Lodge, Apex Inn and Arrow Inn for temporary stays in the area.