Career and Education Opportunities for Florists in Lancaster, California
Lancaster, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for florists. There are currently 7,700 jobs for florists in California and this is projected to grow by 10% to about 8,500 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for florists, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 2.5% over the next eight years. Florists generally design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
Florists earn about $12 per hour or $26,780 yearly on average in California and about $11 per hour or $23,230 yearly on average nationally. Incomes for florists are not quite as good as in the overall category of Art and Design in California, and not quite as good as the overall Art and Design category nationally. Florists work in a variety of jobs, including: artificial foliage arranger, floral decorator, and floral arranger.
There are 210 schools of higher education in the Lancaster area, including three within twenty-five miles of Lancaster where you can get a degree to start your career as a florist. Given that the most common education level for florists is less than a high school diploma, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a florist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Florist
In general, florists design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
Florists talk with clients regarding price and type of arrangements desired and the date, time, and place of delivery. They also inform customers about the care and handling of various flowers and foliage and other items. Equally important, florists have to arrange bouquets, wreaths and other items. They are often called upon to wrap and price completed arrangements. They are expected to decide on flora and foliage for arrangements, working with numerous combinations to synthesize and design new creations. Finally, florists perform office and retail service duties such as keeping financial records, serving customers, answering telephones, selling giftware items and receiving payment.
Every day, florists are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to distinguish between colors.
It is important for florists to decorate or supervise the decoration of buildings or other facilities for parties, weddings and other occasions. They are often called upon to conduct classes or demonstrations, or train other staff. Somewhat less frequently, florists are also expected to perform general cleaning duties in the store to insure the shop is clean and tidy.
and grow flowers for use in arrangements or for sale in shop. And finally, they sometimes have to unpack stock as it comes into the shop.
Like many other jobs, florists must be thorough and dependable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Lancaster include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Audio Visual Technician. Set up or set up and operate audio and video equipment including microphones, sound speakers, video screens, projectors, video monitors, recording equipment, connecting wires and cables, sound and mixing boards, and related electronic equipment for concerts, sports events, meetings and conventions, presentations, and news conferences. May also set up and operate associated spotlights and other custom lighting systems.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Florist Training
Los Angeles Pierce College - Woodland Hills, CA
Los Angeles Pierce College, 6201 Winnetka Ave, Woodland Hills, CA 91371-0002. Los Angeles Pierce College is a large college located in Woodland Hills, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 21,832 students. Los Angeles Pierce College has an associate's degree program in Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management.
Mt San Antonio College - Walnut, CA
Mt San Antonio College, 1100 N Grand Ave, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Mt San Antonio College is a large college located in Walnut, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 30,439 students. Mt San Antonio College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management.
Long Beach City College - Long Beach, CA
Long Beach City College, 4901 E. Carson St., Long Beach, CA 90808-1706. Long Beach City College is a large college located in Long Beach, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,097 students. Long Beach City College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management which graduated one, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Lancaster, California
Lancaster is situated in Los Angeles County, California. It has a population of over 145,469, which has grown by 22.5% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Lancaster, 130, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Lancaster cost $144,700 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, two hundred ninety-six new homes were constructed in Lancaster, down from eight hundred six the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Lancaster are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, transportation equipment, and public administration. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 15.8% of Lancaster residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Lancaster is 17.6%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Lancaster residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 58.1%, is more than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Lancaster is home to the Los Angeles County Animal Shelter Number 5 and the Lancaster City Hall as well as Mays Field and Mariposa Park. Shopping centers in the area include Antelope Valley Center Shopping Center, Antelope Valley Plaza Shopping Center and West Lancaster Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Lancaster can choose from Best Western Antelope Valley I, Aloha Motel and Bonaire Motel for temporary stays in the area.