Career and Education Opportunities for Payroll Machine Operators in Irvine, California
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for payroll machine operators in the Irvine, California area. The national trend for payroll machine operators sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. Payroll machine operators generally operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data.
Payroll machine operators earn about $16 per hour or $33,420 yearly on average in California and about $14 hourly or $30,950 yearly on average nationally. Payroll machine operators earn more than people working in the category of Billing and Bookkeeping generally in California and more than people in the Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
The Irvine area is home to 112 schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Irvine where you can get a degree as a payroll machine operator. Given that the most common education level for payroll machine operators is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a payroll machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Payroll Machine Operator
In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. They also duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
Every day, payroll machine operators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to prioritize information for further consideration. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for payroll machine operators to enter into machines all data needed for bill generation. They are often called upon to clean machines, and remove ribbons, film, and tape. They also reconcile and post receipts for cash received by various departments. They are sometimes expected to operate bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile archives of transactions. Somewhat less frequently, payroll machine operators are also expected to compute payroll and retirement amounts, applying knowledge of payroll deductions and survivor allowances.
Payroll machine operators sometimes are asked to operate special billing machines to ready statements and invoices. and assign purchase order numbers to invoices and formal and informal bids. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and verify requisition, production and other reports which require specialized knowledge in selecting the totals used.
Like many other jobs, payroll machine operators must be reliable and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Irvine include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Order Filler. Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Payroll Machine Operator Training
InfoTech Career College - Bellflower, CA
InfoTech Career College, 16900 Lakewood Blvd Ste 209, Bellflower, CA 90706. InfoTech Career College is a small college located in Bellflower, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs. It has 50 students and an admission rate of 80%. InfoTech Career College has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated five students in 2008.
Stanbridge College - Irvine, CA
Stanbridge College, 2041 Business Ctr Dr Ste 107, Irvine, CA 92612. Stanbridge College is a small college located in Irvine, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 180 students and an admission rate of 74%. Stanbridge College has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Irvine, California
Irvine is situated in Orange County, California. It has a population of over 207,500, which has grown by 45.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Irvine, 136, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Irvine are valued at $283,000 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-five new homes were built in Irvine, down from two hundred twenty-nine the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Irvine are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, educational services, and computer and electronic products. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 58.4% of Irvine residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 24.2%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Irvine is 7.3%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Irvine residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.8%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
Irvine is home to the International Raceway and the Heritage Park Library as well as Heritage Park and Alderwood Park. Shopping centers in the area include Heritage Plaza Shopping Center, Alton Square Shopping Center and Arbor Village Shopping Center. Visitors to Irvine can choose from Atrium Hotel At Orange County Airport and Amerilodge Electronics for temporary stays in the area.