Career and Education Opportunities for Elementary School Teachers in Irvine, California
For those living in the Irvine, California area, there are many career and education opportunities for elementary school teachers. There are currently 191,800 jobs for elementary school teachers in California and this is projected to grow by 27% to 243,100 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for elementary school teachers are expected to grow by about 15.8%. In general, elementary school teachers teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
The average wage in the general category of Primary and Secondary School Education jobs is $13 per hour or $54,227 per year in California, and an average of $11 per hour or $45,804 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Primary and Secondary School Education, people working as elementary school teachers in California earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Primary and Secondary School Education nationally. Elementary school teachers work in a variety of jobs, including: elementary educator, choir teacher, and orchestra teacher.
There are seven schools within twenty-five miles of Irvine where you can study to be an elementary school teacher, among 112 schools of higher education total in the Irvine area. The most common level of education for elementary school teachers is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years studying to be an elementary school teacher if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Elementary School Teacher
In general, elementary school teachers teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
Elementary school teachers establish and enforce rules for behavior and methods for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible. They also attend staff meetings and serve on committees, as required. Equally important, elementary school teachers have to meet with other professionals to consider individual students' needs and progress. They are often called upon to observe and evaluate students' performance and physical health. They are expected to talk with parents or guardians and administrators to deal with students' behavioral and academic problems. Finally, elementary school teachers involve parent volunteers and older students in children's activities to enable involvement in focused, complex play.
Every day, elementary school teachers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for elementary school teachers to perform administrative duties such as assisting in school libraries, hall and cafeteria monitoring, and bus loading and unloading. They are often called upon to supervise and plan assignments for teacher assistants and volunteers. They also sponsor extracurricular efforts such as clubs and academic contests. They are sometimes expected to maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws and administrative regulations. Somewhat less frequently, elementary school teachers are also expected to ready materials and classrooms for class efforts.
Elementary school teachers sometimes are asked to formulate and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guest speakers or other experiential efforts, and guide students in learning from those efforts. They also have to be able to meet with parents and guardians to consider their children's progress and to establish priorities for their children and their resource needs and adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests. And finally, they sometimes have to instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods such as lectures and demonstrations.
Like many other jobs, elementary school teachers must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and have a strong concern for others.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Irvine include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Curator. Administer affairs of museum and conduct research programs. Direct instructional, research, and public service activities of institution.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- High School Teacher. Instruct students in secondary public or private schools in one or more subjects at the secondary level, such as English, mathematics, or social studies. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Kindergarten Teacher. Teach elemental natural and social science, personal hygiene, and literature to children from 4 to 6 years old. Promote physical, mental, and social development. May be required to hold State certification.
- Librarian. Administer libraries and perform related library services. Work in a variety of settings, including public libraries, schools, colleges and universities, museums, corporations, government agencies, law firms, non-profit organizations, and healthcare providers. Tasks may include selecting, acquiring, and maintaining library materials; and furnishing reference, bibliographical, and readers' advisory services. May perform in-depth, strategic research, and synthesize, analyze, and filter information. May set up or work with databases and information systems to catalogue and access information.
- Middle School Teacher. Teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
- Preschool Teacher. Instruct children (normally up to 5 years of age) in activities designed to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth needed for primary school in preschool, day care center, or other child development facility. May be required to hold State certification.
- Teaching Assistant. Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Elementary School Teacher Training
Chapman University-University College - Orange, CA
Chapman University-University College, One University Dr, Orange, CA 92866. Chapman University-University College is a medium sized university located in Orange, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 6,071 students. Chapman University-University College has a master's degree program in Elementary Education and Teaching which graduated sixty-three students in 2008.
Concordia University - Irvine, CA
Concordia University, 1530 Concordia West, Irvine, CA 92612-3299. Concordia University is a small university located in Irvine, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,452 students and an admission rate of 62%. Concordia University has a bachelor's degree program in Elementary Education and Teaching which graduated thirty-one students in 2008.
Chapman University - Orange, CA
Chapman University, One University Dr., Orange, CA 92866. Chapman University is a medium sized university located in Orange, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,131 students and an admission rate of 50%. Chapman University has a master's degree program in Elementary Education and Teaching which graduated nineteen students in 2008.
Biola University - La Mirada, CA
Biola University, 13800 Biola Ave, La Mirada, CA 90639-0001. Biola University is a medium sized university located in La Mirada, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 5,893 students and an admission rate of 81%. Biola University has a bachelor's degree program in Elementary Education and Teaching which graduated forty-two students in 2008.
Hope International University - Fullerton, CA
Hope International University, 2500 E Nutwood Ave, Fullerton, CA 92831-3199. Hope International University is a small university located in Fullerton, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 841 students and an admission rate of 80%. Hope International University has a bachelor's degree program in Elementary Education and Teaching which graduated eleven students in 2008.
University of California-Irvine - Irvine, CA
University of California-Irvine, , Irvine, CA 92697. University of California-Irvine is a large university located in Irvine, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 25,899 students and an admission rate of 56%. University of California-Irvine has a postbaccalaureate certificate and a master's degree program in Teacher Education, Multiple Levels which graduated sixty-nine and seventy-nine students respectively in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Southern California Campus - Costa Mesa, CA
University of Phoenix-Southern California Campus, 3090 Bristol Street, Suite 500, Costa Mesa, CA 92626-3079. University of Phoenix-Southern California Campus is a large university located in Costa Mesa, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 9,821 students. University of Phoenix-Southern California Campus has 2 areas of study related to Elementary School Teacher. They are:
- Elementary Education and Teaching, master's degree which graduated 136 students in 2008.
- Teacher Education, Multiple Levels, master's degree which graduated 93 students in 2008.
Licensing agency: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
Address: 1900 Capitol Avenue, P.O. Box 944270, Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 445-7254
Website: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
LOCATION INFORMATION: Irvine, California
Irvine is situated in Orange County, California. It has a population of over 207,500, which has grown by 45.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Irvine, 136, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Irvine are valued at $283,000 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-five new homes were built in Irvine, down from two hundred twenty-nine the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Irvine are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, educational services, and computer and electronic products. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 58.4% of Irvine residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 24.2%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Irvine is 7.3%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Irvine residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.8%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
Irvine is home to the International Raceway and the Heritage Park Library as well as Heritage Park and Alderwood Park. Shopping centers in the area include Heritage Plaza Shopping Center, Alton Square Shopping Center and Arbor Village Shopping Center. Visitors to Irvine can choose from Atrium Hotel At Orange County Airport and Amerilodge Electronics for temporary stays in the area.