Career and Education Opportunities for Graduate Research Assistants in Irvine, California
Graduate research assistants can find many career and educational opportunities in the Irvine, California area. Graduate research assistants generally assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for graduate research assistants are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in California, and not quite as good as the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. Jobs in this field include: graduate student instructor , research assistant , and graduate fellow.
There are eight schools within twenty-five miles of Irvine where you can study to be a graduate research assistant, among 112 schools of higher education total in the Irvine area. Given that the most common education level for graduate research assistants is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a graduate research assistant if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Graduate Research Assistant
In general, graduate research assistants assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. They also graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program.
Graduate research assistants copy and distribute classroom materials. They also meet with supervisors to consider students' grades, and to finish required grade-related paperwork. Equally important, graduate research assistants have to evaluate and grade examinations, assignments, and papers, and record grades. They are often called upon to return assignments to students in accordance with established deadlines. Finally, graduate research assistants notify instructors of errors or problems with assignments.
Every day, graduate research assistants are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for graduate research assistants to lead discussion sections and laboratory sections. They are often called upon to inform students of the processes for completing and submitting class work such as lab reports. They also ready and proctor examinations. They are sometimes expected to schedule and maintain regular office hours to meet with students. Somewhat less frequently, graduate research assistants are also expected to complete laboratory projects before assigning them to students so that any needed modifications can be made.
They also have to be able to furnish instructors with assistance in the use of audiovisual equipment and notify instructors of errors or problems with assignments. And finally, they sometimes have to order or obtain materials needed for classes.
Like many other jobs, graduate research assistants must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Irvine include:
- Adult Education Teacher. Teach or instruct out-of-school youths and adults in remedial education classes, preparatory classes for the General Educational Development test, literacy, or English as a Second Language. Teaching may or may not take place in a traditional educational institution.
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- High School Teacher. Instruct students in secondary public or private schools in one or more subjects at the secondary level, such as English, mathematics, or social studies. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Middle School Teacher. Teach students in public or private schools in one or more subjects at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Teaching Assistant. Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher or another professional has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Graduate Research Assistant Training
Coastline Community College - Fountain Valley, CA
Coastline Community College, 11460 Warner Ave, Fountain Valley, CA 92708-2597. Coastline Community College is a large college located in Fountain Valley, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 14,200 students. Coastline Community College has a two to four year program in Education.
Whittier College - Whittier, CA
Whittier College, 13406 E Philadelphia Street, Whittier, CA 90601. Whittier College is a small college located in Whittier, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,895 students and an admission rate of 72%. Whittier College has a master's degree program in Education which graduated sixty-nine students in 2008.
California State University-Fullerton - Fullerton, CA
California State University-Fullerton, 800 N State College Blvd, Fullerton, CA 92831-3599. California State University-Fullerton is a large university located in Fullerton, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 36,990 students and an admission rate of 60%. California State University-Fullerton has a master's degree program in Education which graduated 350 students in 2008.
Biola University - La Mirada, CA
Biola University, 13800 Biola Ave, La Mirada, CA 90639-0001. Biola University is a medium sized university located in La Mirada, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 5,893 students and an admission rate of 81%. Biola University has a master's degree program in Education which graduated forty-four students in 2008.
Vanguard University of Southern California - Costa Mesa, CA
Vanguard University of Southern California, 55 Fair Dr, Costa Mesa, CA 92626. Vanguard University of Southern California is a small university located in Costa Mesa, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,128 students and an admission rate of 81%. Vanguard University of Southern California has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Education which graduated forty-six and twenty-four students respectively in 2008.
California State University-Long Beach - Long Beach, CA
California State University-Long Beach, 1250 Bellflower Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90840-0115. California State University-Long Beach is a large university located in Long Beach, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 37,891 students and an admission rate of 47%. California State University-Long Beach has a master's degree program in Education which graduated 169 students in 2008.
University of California-Irvine - Irvine, CA
University of California-Irvine, , Irvine, CA 92697. University of California-Irvine is a large university located in Irvine, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 25,899 students and an admission rate of 56%. University of California-Irvine has a postbaccalaureate certificate program in Education which graduated 153 students in 2008.
California State University-Dominguez Hills - Carson, CA
California State University-Dominguez Hills, 1000 E Victoria St, Carson, CA 90747-0005. California State University-Dominguez Hills is a large university located in Carson, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 12,842 students and an admission rate of 12%. California State University-Dominguez Hills has a master's degree program in Education which graduated 212 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Irvine, California
Irvine is situated in Orange County, California. It has a population of over 207,500, which has grown by 45.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Irvine, 136, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Irvine are valued at $283,000 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-five new homes were built in Irvine, down from two hundred twenty-nine the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Irvine are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, educational services, and computer and electronic products. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 58.4% of Irvine residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 24.2%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Irvine is 7.3%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Irvine residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.8%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
Irvine is home to the International Raceway and the Heritage Park Library as well as Heritage Park and Alderwood Park. Shopping centers in the area include Heritage Plaza Shopping Center, Alton Square Shopping Center and Arbor Village Shopping Center. Visitors to Irvine can choose from Atrium Hotel At Orange County Airport and Amerilodge Electronics for temporary stays in the area.