Career and Education Opportunities for Set and Exhibit Designers in Irvine, California
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for set and exhibit designers in the Irvine, California area. There are currently 2,300 working set and exhibit designers in California; this should grow 17% to about 2,700 working set and exhibit designers in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for set and exhibit designers, which sees this job pool growing by about 16.6% over the next eight years. In general, set and exhibit designers design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets.
A person working as a set and exhibit designer can expect to earn about $24 hourly or $50,930 yearly on average in California and about $21 hourly or $44,660 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Set and exhibit designers earn less than people working in the category of Art and Design generally in California and less than people in the Art and Design category nationally. Jobs in this field include: installations designer, production manager, and set decorator.
There are ten schools within twenty-five miles of Irvine where you can study to be a set and exhibit designer, among 112 schools of higher education total in the Irvine area. Set and exhibit designers usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a set and exhibit designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Set and Exhibit Designer
In general, set and exhibit designers design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. They also may study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
Set and exhibit designers estimate set- or exhibit-related costs including materials and rental of props or locations. They also direct and schedule construction, erection, or decoration efforts in order to insure that sets or exhibits meet layout and schedule requirements. Equally important, set and exhibit designers have to talk with clients and staff so as to gather data related to exhibit space, proposed themes and content and/or promotion requirements. They are often called upon to acquire, or manage acquisition of, specimens or graphics required to finish exhibits. They are expected to submit plans for approval, and adapt plans to serve intended purposes, or to conform to budget or fabrication restrictions. Finally, set and exhibit designers design for location-specific issues such as space limitations, traffic flow patterns, and safety concerns.
Every day, set and exhibit designers are expected to be able to visualize how things come together and can be organized. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for set and exhibit designers to layout and produce displays and materials that can be used to decorate windows or event locations such as streets and fairgrounds. They are often called upon to direct the removal of sets and exhibits after productions or events are complete. They also research architectural and stylistic elements appropriate to the time period to be depicted, consulting experts for data as needed. They are sometimes expected to decide on and purchase lumber and hardware needed for set construction. Somewhat less frequently, set and exhibit designers are also expected to observe sets during rehearsals in order to insure that set elements do not interfere with performance aspects such as cast movement and camera angles.
and design set designs on the basis of evaluation of scripts and available locations. And finally, they sometimes have to ready rough drafts and scale working drawings of sets, including floor plans and properties to be constructed.
Like many other jobs, set and exhibit designers must believe in innovation and creative thought and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Irvine include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Choreographer. Create and teach dance. May direct and stage presentations.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Dancer. Perform dances. May also sing or act.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Photographer. Photograph persons, subjects, or other commercial products. May develop negatives and produce finished prints.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Set and Exhibit Designer Training
Brooks College - Long Beach, CA
Brooks College, 4825 E. Pacific Coast Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90804. Brooks College is a small college located in Long Beach, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 32 students. Brooks College has an associate's degree program in Design and Visual Communications which graduated forty-two students in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Anaheim - Anaheim, CA
ITT Technical Institute-Anaheim, 525 N Muller Street, Anaheim, CA 92801. ITT Technical Institute-Anaheim is a small school located in Anaheim, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 960 students and an admission rate of 50%. ITT Technical Institute-Anaheim has an associate's degree program in Design and Visual Communications.
Fullerton College - Fullerton, CA
Fullerton College, 321 E Chapman Avenue, Fullerton, CA 92832-2095. Fullerton College is a large college located in Fullerton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 22,500 students. Fullerton College has a two to four year program in Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology.
Bethesda Christian University - Anaheim, CA
Bethesda Christian University, 730 N. Euclid St, Anaheim, CA 92801. Bethesda Christian University is a small university located in Anaheim, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 306 students and an admission rate of 93%. Bethesda Christian University has a bachelor's degree program in Design and Visual Communications which graduated one student in 2008.
Long Beach City College - Long Beach, CA
Long Beach City College, 4901 E. Carson St., Long Beach, CA 90808-1706. Long Beach City College is a large college located in Long Beach, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,097 students. Long Beach City College has 2 areas of study related to Set and Exhibit Designer. They are:
- Design and Visual Communications, associate's degree.
- Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology, associate's degree.
Santa Ana College - Santa Ana, CA
Santa Ana College, 1530 W. 17th Street, Santa Ana, CA 92706-3398. Santa Ana College is a large college located in Santa Ana, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,464 students. Santa Ana College has 2 areas of study related to Set and Exhibit Designer. They are:
- Design and Visual Communications, two to four year.
- Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology, less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated one, one, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Cypress College - Cypress, CA
Cypress College, 9200 Valley View, Cypress, CA 90630-5897. Cypress College is a large college located in Cypress, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 14,990 students. Cypress College has a two to four year program in Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology.
Orange Coast College - Costa Mesa, CA
Orange Coast College, 2701 Fairview Road, Costa Mesa, CA 92628-5005. Orange Coast College is a large college located in Costa Mesa, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 24,700 students. Orange Coast College has a two to four year program in Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology.
Irvine Valley College - Irvine, CA
Irvine Valley College, 5500 Irvine Center Drive, Irvine, CA 92618-0301. Irvine Valley College is a medium sized college located in Irvine, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,963 students. Irvine Valley College has an associate's degree program in Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology.
Westwood College-Anaheim - Anaheim, CA
Westwood College-Anaheim, 1551 S. Douglass Rd, Anaheim, CA 92806. Westwood College-Anaheim is a small college located in Anaheim, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 989 students and an admission rate of 42%. Westwood College-Anaheim has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Design and Applied Arts, Other Specialties which graduated thirteen and thirty-one students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Irvine, California
Irvine is situated in Orange County, California. It has a population of over 207,500, which has grown by 45.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Irvine, 136, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Irvine are valued at $283,000 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-five new homes were built in Irvine, down from two hundred twenty-nine the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Irvine are educational services, professional, scientific, and technical services, and health care. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, educational services, and computer and electronic products. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 58.4% of Irvine residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 24.2%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Irvine is 7.3%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Irvine residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.8%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
Irvine is home to the International Raceway and the Heritage Park Library as well as Heritage Park and Alderwood Park. Shopping centers in the area include Heritage Plaza Shopping Center, Alton Square Shopping Center and Arbor Village Shopping Center. Visitors to Irvine can choose from Atrium Hotel At Orange County Airport and Amerilodge Electronics for temporary stays in the area.