Career and Education Opportunities for Postmasters in Fullerton, California
Fullerton, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for postmasters. The national trend for postmasters sees this job pool shrinking by about 15.1% over the next eight years. Postmasters generally direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U.
A person working as a postmaster can expect to earn about $31 per hour or $66,270 annually on average in California and about $28 per hour or $59,310 annually on average in the U.S. as a whole. Incomes for postmasters are not quite as good as in the overall category of Transportation and Logistics in California, and not quite as good as the overall Transportation and Logistics category nationally. People working as postmasters can fill a number of jobs, such as: postmaster relief , customer service manager, and mail superintendent.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Fullerton where you can study to be a postmaster, among ninety-two schools of higher education total in the Fullerton area. Postmasters usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a postmaster if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Postmaster
In general, postmasters direct and coordinate operational, administrative, and supportive services of a U. They also s.
Postmasters organize and supervise efforts such as the processing of incoming and outgoing mail. They also resolve customer complaints. Finally, postmasters ready employee work schedules.
Every day, postmasters are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for postmasters to ready and submit detailed and summary reports of post office efforts to designated supervisors. They are often called upon to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance. They also negotiate labor disputes. They are sometimes expected to direct and schedule operational, management, and supportive services of one or variety of postal facilities. Somewhat less frequently, postmasters are also expected to hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance.
Postmasters sometimes are asked to ready employee work schedules. They also have to be able to issue and cash money orders And finally, they sometimes have to talk with suppliers to obtain bids for proposed purchases and to requisition supplies; disburse funds in line with federal regulations.
Like many other jobs, postmasters must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Fullerton include:
- Administrator. Plan, direct, or coordinate supportive services of an organization, such as recordkeeping, mail distribution, telephone operator/receptionist, and other office support services. May oversee facilities planning and maintenance and custodial operations.
- Chief Executive Officer. Determine and formulate policies and provide the overall direction of companies or private and public sector organizations within the guidelines set up by a board of directors or similar governing body. Plan, direct, or coordinate operational activities at the highest level of management with the help of subordinate executives and staff managers.
- Compensation and Benefits Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate compensation and benefits activities and staff of an organization.
- Human Relations Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate human resource management activities of an organization to maximize the strategic use of human resources and maintain functions such as employee compensation, recruitment, and regulatory compliance.
- Shipping Receiving Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the storage and distribution operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that are engaged in storing and distributing materials and products.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
- Transportation Manager. Plan, direct, and coordinate the transportation operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that provide transportation services.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Postmaster Training
California State University-Fullerton - Fullerton, CA
California State University-Fullerton, 800 N State College Blvd, Fullerton, CA 92831-3599. California State University-Fullerton is a large university located in Fullerton, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 36,990 students and an admission rate of 60%. California State University-Fullerton has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated one and twenty-five students respectively in 2008.
California State University-Long Beach - Long Beach, CA
California State University-Long Beach, 1250 Bellflower Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90840-0115. California State University-Long Beach is a large university located in Long Beach, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 37,891 students and an admission rate of 47%. California State University-Long Beach has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated 118 students in 2008.
Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence: The Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence is a professional who leads and champions process-improvement initiatives everywhere from small businesses to multinational corporations that can have regional or global focus in a variety of service and industrial settings.
For more information, see the American Society for Quality website.
Certified Manager: Certified Manager certification is valued for the credibility and recognition it brings to managers and the organizations for which they work.
For more information, see the Institute of Certified Professional Managers website.
Program Management Professional: Project Management Institute's newest credential is specifically developed to acknowledge the qualifications of the professional who leads the coordinated management of multiple projects and ensures the ultimate success of a program.
For more information, see the Project Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Fullerton, California
Fullerton is located in Orange County, California. It has a population of over 131,868, which has grown by 4.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Fullerton, 140, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Fullerton are valued at $177,700 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, thirty-one new homes were built in Fullerton, down from thirty-five the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Fullerton are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 31.3% of Fullerton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Fullerton is 10.8%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Fullerton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.8%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
Fullerton is home to the Fullerton Public Library and the Muckenthaler Cultural Center as well as Hermosa School Park and Woodcrest Park. Shopping centers in the area include Fullerton Town Center Shopping Center, Fullerton University Shopping Center and West Fullerton Shopping Center. Visitors to Fullerton can choose from AKUA Motor Inn, Ambassador Inn and Anaheim Park Hotel for temporary stays in the area.