Career and Education Opportunities for Fashion Designers in Fullerton, California
Fashion designer career and educational opportunities abound in Fullerton, California. There are currently 4,600 jobs for fashion designers in California and this is projected to grow by 15% to 5,300 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for fashion designers are expected to grow by about 0.8%. Fashion designers generally design clothing and accessories.
A person working as a fashion designer can expect to earn about $31 hourly or $64,690 yearly on average in California and about $29 per hour or $61,160 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Incomes for fashion designers are better than in the overall category of Art and Design in California, and better than the overall Art and Design category nationally. Fashion designers work in a variety of jobs, including: shoe designer, custom furrier, and latex fashions designer.
The Fullerton area is home to ninety-two schools of higher education, including six within twenty-five miles of Fullerton where you can get a degree as a fashion designer. Fashion designers usually hold an Associate's, or other 2-year degree, so you can expect to spend about two years studying to be a fashion designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Fashion Designer
In general, fashion designers design clothing and accessories. They also create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends.
Fashion designers examine sample garments on and off models; then modify designs to produce desired effects. They also furnish sample garments to agents and sales representatives, and manage showings of sample garments at sales meetings or fashion shows. Equally important, fashion designers have to sketch rough and detailed drawings of apparel or accessories, and write specifications such as color schemes and accessory requirements. They are often called upon to visit textile showrooms to keep up-to-date on the latest fabrics. They are expected to attend fashion shows and review garment magazines and manuals so as to gather data related to fashion trends and consumer preferences. Finally, fashion designers direct and schedule staff involved in drawing and cutting patterns and constructing samples or finished garments.
Every day, fashion designers are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for fashion designers to collaborate with other designers to direct special products and designs. They are often called upon to decide on materials and production techniques to be used for products. They also adapt other designers' concepts for the mass market. They are sometimes expected to purchase new or used clothing and accessory items as needed to finish designs. Somewhat less frequently, fashion designers are also expected to test fabrics or oversee testing so that garment care labels can be created.
Fashion designers sometimes are asked to draw patterns for articles designed; then cut patterns, and cut material in line with patterns, using measuring instruments and scissors. They also have to be able to sew together sections of material to fashion mockups or samples of garments or articles, using sewing equipment And finally, they sometimes have to visit textile showrooms to keep up-to-date on the latest fabrics.
Like many other jobs, fashion designers must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Fullerton include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Fashion Designer Training
Brooks College - Long Beach, CA
Brooks College, 4825 E. Pacific Coast Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90804. Brooks College is a small college located in Long Beach, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 32 students. Brooks College has an associate's degree program in Fashion/Apparel Design which graduated twenty-three students in 2008.
Fullerton College - Fullerton, CA
Fullerton College, 321 E Chapman Avenue, Fullerton, CA 92832-2095. Fullerton College is a large college located in Fullerton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 22,500 students. Fullerton College has 2 areas of study related to Fashion Designer. They are:
- Apparel and Textile Manufacture, two to four year.
- Fashion/Apparel Design, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated one, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Long Beach City College - Long Beach, CA
Long Beach City College, 4901 E. Carson St., Long Beach, CA 90808-1706. Long Beach City College is a large college located in Long Beach, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,097 students. Long Beach City College has 2 areas of study related to Fashion Designer. They are:
- Apparel and Textile Manufacture, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated one, one, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Fashion/Apparel Design, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated two, seven, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Santa Ana College - Santa Ana, CA
Santa Ana College, 1530 W. 17th Street, Santa Ana, CA 92706-3398. Santa Ana College is a large college located in Santa Ana, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,464 students. Santa Ana College has 2 areas of study related to Fashion Designer. They are:
- Apparel and Textile Manufacture, associate's degree and two to four year.
- Fashion/Apparel Design, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated two, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Orange Coast College - Costa Mesa, CA
Orange Coast College, 2701 Fairview Road, Costa Mesa, CA 92628-5005. Orange Coast College is a large college located in Costa Mesa, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 24,700 students. Orange Coast College has 2 areas of study related to Fashion Designer. They are:
- Apparel and Textile Manufacture, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated two, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Fashion/Apparel Design, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated nine, eight, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Saddleback College - Mission Viejo, CA
Saddleback College, 28000 Marguerite Pky, Mission Viejo, CA 92692-3635. Saddleback College is a large college located in Mission Viejo, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,706 students. Saddleback College has one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Fashion/Apparel Design which graduated six, two, and zero students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Fullerton, California
Fullerton is located in Orange County, California. It has a population of over 131,868, which has grown by 4.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Fullerton, 140, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Fullerton are valued at $177,700 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, thirty-one new homes were built in Fullerton, down from thirty-five the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Fullerton are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 31.3% of Fullerton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.8%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Fullerton is 10.8%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Fullerton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.8%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Charismatic Churches Independent.
Fullerton is home to the Fullerton Public Library and the Muckenthaler Cultural Center as well as Hermosa School Park and Woodcrest Park. Shopping centers in the area include Fullerton Town Center Shopping Center, Fullerton University Shopping Center and West Fullerton Shopping Center. Visitors to Fullerton can choose from AKUA Motor Inn, Ambassador Inn and Anaheim Park Hotel for temporary stays in the area.