Career and Education Opportunities for Broker Assistants in Fresno, California
Fresno, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for broker assistants. There are currently 8,700 working broker assistants in California; this should shrink 2% to about 8,500 working broker assistants in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for broker assistants are expected to shrink by about 2.6%. Broker assistants generally perform clerical duties involving the purchase or sale of securities.
Broker assistants earn about $20 hourly or $42,160 annually on average in California and about $18 hourly or $38,710 annually on average nationally. Incomes for broker assistants are better than in the overall category of Clerical in California, and better than the overall Clerical category nationally.
There are twenty-four schools of higher education in the Fresno area, including two within twenty-five miles of Fresno where you can get a degree to start your career as a broker assistant. The most common level of education for broker assistants is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years studying to be a broker assistant if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Broker Assistant
In general, broker assistants perform clerical duties involving the purchase or sale of securities. They also duties include writing orders for stock purchases and sales, computing transfer taxes, verifying stock transactions, accepting and delivering securities, tracking stock price fluctuations, computing equity, and keeping records of daily transactions and holdings.
Broker assistants file and operate standard office machines. Finally, broker assistants correspond with customers and talk with coworkers to respond to inquiries, consider market fluctuations, and resolve account problems.
Every day, broker assistants are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for broker assistants to record and document security transactions, such as purchases and payments, using computers or certificate archives. They are often called upon to schedule and direct transfer and delivery of security certificates between companies and customers. They also ready forms, such as receipts and transfer confirmations, on the basis of transaction requests from stockholders. Somewhat less frequently, broker assistants are also expected to ready reports summarizing daily transactions and earnings for individual customer accounts.
Broker assistants sometimes are asked to compute total holdings and commissions and allocate appropriate payments to customers. They also have to be able to correspond with customers and talk with coworkers to respond to inquiries, consider market fluctuations, and resolve account problems And finally, they sometimes have to monitor daily stock prices and compute fluctuations to establish the need for additional collateral to secure loans.
Like many other jobs, broker assistants must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Fresno include:
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Front Desk Manager. Accommodate hotel, motel, and resort patrons by registering and assigning rooms to guests, issuing room keys, transmitting and receiving messages, keeping records of occupied rooms and guests' accounts, making and confirming reservations, and presenting statements to and collecting payments from departing guests.
- Library Clerk. Compile records, sort and shelve books, and issue and receive library materials such as pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locate library materials for loan and replace material in shelving area, stacks, or files according to identification number and title. Register patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials.
- Loan Inspector. Interview loan applicants to elicit information; investigate applicants' backgrounds and verify references; prepare loan request papers; and forward findings, reports, and documents to appraisal department. Review loan papers to ensure completeness, and complete transactions between loan establishment, borrowers, and sellers upon approval of loan.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
- Store Clerk. Receive, store, and issue sales floor merchandise. Stock shelves, racks, and tables with merchandise and arrange merchandise displays to attract customers. May periodically take physical count of stock or check and mark merchandise.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Broker Assistant Training
Institute of Technology Inc - Clovis, CA
Institute of Technology Inc, 564 W Herndon, Clovis, CA 93612. Institute of Technology Inc is a small school located in Clovis, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,260 students. Institute of Technology Inc has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated thirty-seven students in 2008.
MCed Career College - Fresno, CA
MCed Career College, 2002 N Gateway Blvd, Fresno, CA 93727. MCed Career College is a small college located in Fresno, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs. It has 256 students and an admission rate of 92%. MCed Career College has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated five students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Fresno, California
Fresno is situated in Fresno County, California. It has a population of over 476,050, which has grown by 11.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Fresno, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Fresno are valued at $156,200 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, 1,230 new homes were constructed in Fresno, down from 2,016 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Fresno are health care, educational services, and social assistance. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 19.0% of Fresno residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Fresno is 14.8%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Fresno residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 47.5%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Pearlygrove Baptist Church, Peace Lutheran Church and Golden Harvest Church of God in Christ are all churches located in Fresno. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Assemblies of God and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Fresno is home to the Cribari Winery and the Aspen Hall as well as Beiden Field and Woodward Park. Shopping malls in the area include Figarden Shopping Center, First And Shaw Shopping Center and Fresno Fashion Fair Shopping Center. Visitors to Fresno can choose from Bedding & Fine Furniture, Best Budget Inn and Best Value Water Tree Inn for temporary stays in the area.