Career and Education Opportunities for Statement Clerks in Fresno, California
Statement clerks can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Fresno, California area. The national trend for statement clerks sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. In general, statement clerks prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Statement clerks earn approximately $16 hourly or $33,420 per year on average in California. Nationally they average about $14 per hour or $30,950 yearly. Earnings for statement clerks are better than earnings in the general category of Billing and Bookkeeping in California and better than general Billing and Bookkeeping category earnings nationally.
The Fresno area is home to twenty-four schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Fresno where you can get a degree as a statement clerk. Statement clerks usually hold some college courses, so you can expect to spend a short time training to become a statement clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Statement Clerk
In general, statement clerks prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Every day, statement clerks are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for statement clerks to match statements with batches of canceled checks by account numbers. They are often called upon to compare previously prepared bank statements with canceled checks, and reconcile discrepancies. They also fix minor problems, such as equipment jams, and notify repair personnel of major equipment problems. They are sometimes expected to route statements for mailing or over-the-counter delivery to customers. Somewhat less frequently, statement clerks are also expected to retrieve checks returned to customers in error, adjusting customer accounts and answering inquiries about errors as needed.
They also have to be able to weigh envelopes containing statements in order to establish correct postage and affix postage using stamps or metering equipment and verify signatures and required data on checks. And finally, they sometimes have to maintain files of canceled checks and customers' signatures.
Like many other jobs, statement clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Fresno include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Library Clerk. Compile records, sort and shelve books, and issue and receive library materials such as pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locate library materials for loan and replace material in shelving area, stacks, or files according to identification number and title. Register patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Order Filler. Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Statement Clerk Training
Institute of Technology Inc - Clovis, CA
Institute of Technology Inc, 564 W Herndon, Clovis, CA 93612. Institute of Technology Inc is a small school located in Clovis, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,260 students. Institute of Technology Inc has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated thirty-seven students in 2008.
MCed Career College - Fresno, CA
MCed Career College, 2002 N Gateway Blvd, Fresno, CA 93727. MCed Career College is a small college located in Fresno, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs. It has 256 students and an admission rate of 92%. MCed Career College has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated five students in 2008.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Fresno, California
Fresno is situated in Fresno County, California. It has a population of over 476,050, which has grown by 11.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Fresno, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Fresno are valued at $156,200 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, 1,230 new homes were constructed in Fresno, down from 2,016 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Fresno are health care, educational services, and social assistance. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 19.0% of Fresno residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Fresno is 14.8%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Fresno residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 47.5%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Pearlygrove Baptist Church, Peace Lutheran Church and Golden Harvest Church of God in Christ are all churches located in Fresno. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Assemblies of God and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Fresno is home to the Cribari Winery and the Aspen Hall as well as Beiden Field and Woodward Park. Shopping malls in the area include Figarden Shopping Center, First And Shaw Shopping Center and Fresno Fashion Fair Shopping Center. Visitors to Fresno can choose from Bedding & Fine Furniture, Best Budget Inn and Best Value Water Tree Inn for temporary stays in the area.