Career and Education Opportunities for Order Fillers in Fairfield, California
There are many career and education opportunities for order fillers in the Fairfield, California area. About 198,000 people are currently employed as order fillers in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 1% to 199,800 people employed. This is not quite as good as the national trend for order fillers, which sees this job pool growing by about 7.2% over the next eight years. In general, order fillers fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms.
Income for order fillers is about $10 per hour or $22,120 yearly on average in California. Nationally, their income is about $10 per hour or $20,800 per year. Order fillers earn less than people working in the category of Dispatching and Logistics generally in California and less than people in the Dispatching and Logistics category nationally.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Fairfield where you can study to be an order filler, among sixteen schools of higher education total in the Fairfield area. Given that the most common education level for order fillers is less than a high school diploma, it will take only a short time to learn to be an order filler if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Order Filler
In general, order fillers fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. They also duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
Order fillers obtain products from bins or shelves. Finally, order fillers read orders to ascertain catalog numbers and quantities of products.
Every day, order fillers are expected to be able to read and understand documents and reports. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for order fillers to requisition additional materials and equipment. They are often called upon to compute prices of items or groups of items. They also keep archives of out-going orders. They are sometimes expected to complete order receipts. Somewhat less frequently, order fillers are also expected to complete order receipts.
and place products on conveyors leading to wrapping areas. And finally, they sometimes have to read orders to ascertain catalog numbers and quantities of products.
Like many other jobs, order fillers must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Fairfield include:
- File Clerk. File correspondence, cards, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
- Freight Representative. Expedite and route movement of incoming and outgoing cargo and freight shipments in airline, train, and trucking terminals, and shipping docks. Take orders from customers and arrange pickup of freight and cargo for delivery to loading platform. Prepare and examine bills of lading to determine shipping charges and tariffs.
- Mail Clerk. Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Shipping and Receiving Clerk. Verify and keep records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Order Filler Training
Diablo Valley College - Pleasant Hill, CA
Diablo Valley College, 321 Golf Club Rd, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523. Diablo Valley College is a large college located in Pleasant Hill, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 19,768 students. Diablo Valley College has a less than one year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated two students in 2008.
Los Medanos College - Pittsburg, CA
Los Medanos College, 2700 East Leland Road, Pittsburg, CA 94565. Los Medanos College is a medium sized college located in Pittsburg, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,360 students. Los Medanos College has a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations.
Certified Materials & Resource Professional: CMRP status provides both internal and external rewards.
For more information, see the Association for Healthcare Resource & Materials Management website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Fairfield, California
Fairfield is located in Solano County, California. It has a population of over 103,683, which has grown by 7.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Fairfield, 143, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Fairfield are valued at $197,000 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, thirty-four new homes were constructed in Fairfield, down from one hundred eighty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Fairfield are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 30 minutes. More than 20.4% of Fairfield residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Fairfield is 13.1%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Fairfield residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the American Baptist Churches in the USA and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Fairfield is home to the Fairfield City Hall and the Dickson Hill Water Treatment Plant as well as Tabor Park and Sunrise Park. Shopping malls in the area include Geri Towne Shopping Center, Mission Village Shopping Center and Solano Mall Shopping Center.