Career and Education Opportunities for Payroll Machine Operators in Fairfield, California
For those living in the Fairfield, California area, there are many career and education opportunities for payroll machine operators. The national trend for payroll machine operators sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data.
Payroll machine operators earn approximately $16 hourly or $33,420 yearly on average in California. Nationally they average about $14 per hour or $30,950 yearly. Incomes for payroll machine operators are better than in the overall category of Billing and Bookkeeping in California, and better than the overall Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
There are sixteen schools of higher education in the Fairfield area, including three within twenty-five miles of Fairfield where you can get a degree to start your career as a payroll machine operator. The most common level of education for payroll machine operators is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a payroll machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Payroll Machine Operator
In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. They also duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
Every day, payroll machine operators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to prioritize information for further consideration. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for payroll machine operators to enter into machines all data needed for bill generation. They are often called upon to clean machines, and remove ribbons, film, and tape. They also reconcile and post receipts for cash received by various departments. They are sometimes expected to operate bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile archives of transactions. Somewhat less frequently, payroll machine operators are also expected to compute payroll and retirement amounts, applying knowledge of payroll deductions and survivor allowances.
Payroll machine operators sometimes are asked to operate special billing machines to ready statements and invoices. and assign purchase order numbers to invoices and formal and informal bids. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and verify requisition, production and other reports which require specialized knowledge in selecting the totals used.
Like many other jobs, payroll machine operators must be reliable and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Fairfield include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Order Filler. Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Payroll Machine Operator Training
Mt Diablo Adult Education - Concord, CA
Mt Diablo Adult Education, 1266 San Carlos, Concord, CA 94518. Mt Diablo Adult Education is a small school located in Concord, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 513 students. Mt Diablo Adult Education has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated eighty-two students in 2008.
CSI Career College - Vacaville, CA
CSI Career College, 611 Orange Dr Ste K, Vacaville, CA 95687. CSI Career College is a small college located in Vacaville, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs. It has 292 students and an admission rate of 94%. CSI Career College has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated three students in 2008.
Martinez Adult Education - Martinez, CA
Martinez Adult Education, 600 F St, Martinez, CA 94553-3298. Martinez Adult Education is a small school located in Martinez, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 565 students. Martinez Adult Education has a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Fairfield, California
Fairfield is located in Solano County, California. It has a population of over 103,683, which has grown by 7.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Fairfield, 143, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Fairfield are valued at $197,000 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, thirty-four new homes were constructed in Fairfield, down from one hundred eighty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Fairfield are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 30 minutes. More than 20.4% of Fairfield residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Fairfield is 13.1%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Fairfield residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the American Baptist Churches in the USA and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Fairfield is home to the Fairfield City Hall and the Dickson Hill Water Treatment Plant as well as Tabor Park and Sunrise Park. Shopping malls in the area include Geri Towne Shopping Center, Mission Village Shopping Center and Solano Mall Shopping Center.