Career and Education Opportunities for Cost Analysts in Fairfield, California
If you want to be a cost analyst, the Fairfield, California area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. There are currently 25,600 jobs for cost analysts in California and this is projected to grow 22% to 31,200 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for cost analysts, which sees this job pool growing by about 25.3% over the next eight years. In general, cost analysts prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service.
The income of a cost analyst is about $31 hourly or $64,620 per year on average in California. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $27 hourly or $56,510 yearly on average. Incomes for cost analysts are better than in the overall category of Adjustment and Analysis in California, and better than the overall Adjustment and Analysis category nationally. Jobs in this field include: operations manager, estimator, and cost recovery/investment recovery technician.
The Fairfield area is home to sixteen schools of higher education, including eight within twenty-five miles of Fairfield where you can get a degree as a cost analyst. Given that the most common education level for cost analysts is a Bachelor's degree, it will take about four years to learn to be a cost analyst if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cost Analyst
In general, cost analysts prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. They also may specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
Cost analysts confer with clients, vendors, personnel in other departments or construction foremen to consider and formulate estimates and resolve issues. They also talk with engineers, architects, owners, and contractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates. Equally important, cost analysts have to analyze blueprints and other documentation to ready time and labor estimates. They are often called upon to ready estimates for use in selecting vendors or subcontractors. They are expected to ready estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work. Finally, cost analysts ready cost and expenditure statements and other needed documentation at regular intervals for the duration of projects.
Every day, cost analysts are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to deal with basic arithmetic problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for cost analysts to ready and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors. They are often called upon to establish and maintain tendering process, and conduct negotiations. Somewhat less frequently, cost analysts are also expected to visit site and record data related to access, drainage and topography, and availability of services such as water and electricity.
Cost analysts sometimes are asked to visit site and record data related to access, drainage and topography, and availability of services such as water and electricity. And finally, they sometimes have to prepare cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
Like many other jobs, cost analysts must be thorough and dependable and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Fairfield include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Business Management Analyst. Conduct organizational studies and evaluations, design systems and procedures, conduct work simplifications and measurement studies, and prepare operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively. Includes program analysts and management consultants.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Income Tax Advisor. Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cost Analyst Training
Pacific Union College - Angwin, CA
Pacific Union College, One Angwin Ave, Angwin, CA 94508-9707. Pacific Union College is a small college located in Angwin, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,279 students and an admission rate of 76%. Pacific Union College has a bachelor's degree program in Business/Commerce which graduated thirty-nine students in 2008.
Diablo Valley College - Pleasant Hill, CA
Diablo Valley College, 321 Golf Club Rd, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523. Diablo Valley College is a large college located in Pleasant Hill, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 19,768 students. Diablo Valley College has 2 areas of study related to Cost Analyst. They are:
- Business/Commerce, less than one year and two to four year which graduated twelve and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Business Administration and Management, less than one year, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated one, two, ten, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Napa Valley College - Napa, CA
Napa Valley College, 2277 Napa-Vallejo Hwy, Napa, CA 94558-6236. Napa Valley College is a medium sized college located in Napa, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,404 students. Napa Valley College has 2 areas of study related to Cost Analyst. They are:
- Business/Commerce, associate's degree.
- Business Administration and Management, associate's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
Los Medanos College - Pittsburg, CA
Los Medanos College, 2700 East Leland Road, Pittsburg, CA 94565. Los Medanos College is a medium sized college located in Pittsburg, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,360 students. Los Medanos College has 2 areas of study related to Cost Analyst. They are:
- Business/Commerce, less than one year which graduated 2 students in 2008.
- Business Administration and Management, less than one year and two to four year which graduated two and zero students respectively in 2008.
John F Kennedy University - Pleasant Hill, CA
John F Kennedy University, 100 Ellinwood Way, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523-4817. John F Kennedy University is a small university located in Pleasant Hill, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,511 students. John F Kennedy University has less than one year, bachelor's degree, and master's degree programs in Business Administration and Management which graduated zero, ten, and twenty-four students respectively in 2008.
University of California-Davis - Davis, CA
University of California-Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616-8678. University of California-Davis is a large university located in Davis, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 30,270 students and an admission rate of 59%. University of California-Davis has 3 areas of study related to Cost Analyst. They are:
- Materials Engineering, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated one, three, and five students respectively in 2008.
- Mechanical Engineering, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated sixteen, twenty-six, and eighteen students respectively in 2008.
- Business Administration and Management, master's degree which graduated 151 students in 2008.
California Maritime Academy - Vallejo, CA
California Maritime Academy, 200 Maritime Academy Dr, Vallejo, CA 94590. California Maritime Academy is a small school located in Vallejo, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 812 students and an admission rate of 79%. California Maritime Academy has 2 areas of study related to Cost Analyst. They are:
- Mechanical Engineering, bachelor's degree which graduated 24 students in 2008.
- Business Administration and Management, bachelor's degree which graduated 10 students in 2008.
Contra Costa College - San Pablo, CA
Contra Costa College, 2600 Mission Bell Dr, San Pablo, CA 94806-3195. Contra Costa College is a medium sized college located in San Pablo, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,147 students. Contra Costa College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Business Administration and Management which graduated twenty-six, twenty-four, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Certified Professional Estimator: The American Society of Professional Estimators (ASPE) has been certifying construction estimators for over thirty years.
For more information, see the American Society of Professional Estimators website.
Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist: CAMS certification is rrecognized by employers in both private industry and government.
For more information, see the Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists website.
Certified Investment Management Analyst: The CIMA offers an intense educational experience focusing on asset allocation, manager search and selection, investment policy and performance measurement.
For more information, see the Investment Management Consultants Association website.
Certified Cost Estimator/Analyst : The Society's Certified Cost Estimator/Analyst (CCE/A) program provides a professional credential to SCEA members and nonmembers who demonstrate mastery of basic concepts and methods.
For more information, see the Society of Cost Estimating and Analysis website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Fairfield, California
Fairfield is located in Solano County, California. It has a population of over 103,683, which has grown by 7.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Fairfield, 143, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Fairfield are valued at $197,000 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, thirty-four new homes were constructed in Fairfield, down from one hundred eighty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Fairfield are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 30 minutes. More than 20.4% of Fairfield residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Fairfield is 13.1%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Fairfield residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the American Baptist Churches in the USA and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Fairfield is home to the Fairfield City Hall and the Dickson Hill Water Treatment Plant as well as Tabor Park and Sunrise Park. Shopping malls in the area include Geri Towne Shopping Center, Mission Village Shopping Center and Solano Mall Shopping Center.