Career and Education Opportunities for Landscape Architects in Fairfield, California
Fairfield, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for landscape architects. About 4,400 people are currently employed as landscape architects in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 11% to 4,900 people employed. This is not quite as good as the national trend for landscape architects, which sees this job pool growing by about 19.7% over the next eight years. In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
A person working as a landscape architect can expect to earn about $32 hourly or $66,870 annually on average in California and about $28 hourly or $58,960 annually on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for landscape architects are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Architecture in California and not quite as good as general Architecture category earnings nationally. Landscape architects work in a variety of jobs, including: landscape designer, land planner, and sustainable landscape architect.
The Fairfield area is home to sixteen schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Fairfield where you can get a degree as a landscape architect. Given that the most common education level for landscape architects is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years training to become a landscape architect if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Landscape Architect
In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Landscape architects talk with clients and architects on overall programs. They also ready site plans and cost estimates for land development, coordinating arrangement of existing and proposed land features and structures. Equally important, landscape architects have to seek new work opportunities through marketing, writing proposals or giving presentations. They are often called upon to inspect landscape work to insure adherence to specifications, approve quality of materials and work, and advise client and construction personnel. They are expected to ready graphic representations and drawings of proposed plans and designs. Finally, landscape architects compile and analyze data on conditions such as location and location of structures for environmental reports and landscaping plans.
Every day, landscape architects are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
And finally, they sometimes have to talk with clients and architects on overall programs.
Like many other jobs, landscape architects must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Fairfield include:
- Agricultural Engineer. Apply knowledge of engineering technology and biological science to agricultural problems concerned with power and machinery, electrification, structures, soil and water conservation, and processing of agricultural products.
- Architect. Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, and other structural property.
- Civil Engineer. Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, water and sewage systems, and waste disposal units. Includes architectural, structural, and geo-technical engineers.
- Materials Engineer. Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Landscape Architect Training
University of California-Davis - Davis, CA
University of California-Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616-8678. University of California-Davis is a large university located in Davis, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 30,270 students and an admission rate of 59%. University of California-Davis has 2 areas of study related to Landscape Architect. They are:
- Environmental Design/Architecture, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Landscape Architecture, bachelor's degree which graduated 43 students in 2008.
Landscape Architect, Licensed
Licensing agency: Department of Consumer Affairs
Address: Landscape Architects Technical Committee, 400 R Street, Suite 4000, Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 445-4954
Website: Department of Consumer Affairs Landscape Architects Technical Committee
LOCATION INFORMATION: Fairfield, California
Fairfield is located in Solano County, California. It has a population of over 103,683, which has grown by 7.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Fairfield, 143, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Fairfield are valued at $197,000 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, thirty-four new homes were constructed in Fairfield, down from one hundred eighty the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Fairfield are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and health care. The average travel time to work is about 30 minutes. More than 20.4% of Fairfield residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Fairfield is 13.1%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Fairfield residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 37.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the American Baptist Churches in the USA and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Fairfield is home to the Fairfield City Hall and the Dickson Hill Water Treatment Plant as well as Tabor Park and Sunrise Park. Shopping malls in the area include Geri Towne Shopping Center, Mission Village Shopping Center and Solano Mall Shopping Center.