Career and Education Opportunities for Chiropractors in El Monte, California
Chiropractors can find many career and educational opportunities in the El Monte, California area. There are currently 4,500 jobs for chiropractors in California and this is projected to grow by 24% to 5,600 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for chiropractors, which sees this job pool growing by about 19.5% over the next eight years. Chiropractors generally adjust spinal column and other articulations of the body to correct abnormalities of the human body believed to be caused by interference with the nervous system.
A person working as a chiropractor can expect to earn about $29 per hour or $60,470 per year on average in California and about $31 hourly or $66,490 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for chiropractors are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Alternative and Specialized in California and better than general Alternative and Specialized category earnings nationally. Chiropractors work in a variety of jobs, including: physician, doctor of chiropractic, and chiropractic doctor .
There are 210 schools of higher education in the El Monte area, including two within twenty-five miles of El Monte where you can get a degree to start your career as a chiropractor. The most common level of education for chiropractors is a Doctoral degree. You can expect to spend four or five years training to become a chiropractor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or eight to ten years starting with a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Chiropractor
In general, chiropractors adjust spinal column and other articulations of the body to correct abnormalities of the human body believed to be caused by interference with the nervous system. They also examine patient to determine nature and extent of disorder.
Chiropractors diagnose health problems by reviewing patients' health and medical histories, questioning, observing and examining patients, and interpreting x-rays. They also manage diagnostic x-rays to be taken. Equally important, chiropractors have to counsel patients about nutrition and other matters. They are often called upon to analyze x-rays to identify the sources of patients' difficulties and to rule out fractures or diseases as sources of problems. They are expected to confer with and refer patients to appropriate health practitioners when needed. Finally, chiropractors perform a series of manual adjustments to the spine, or other articulations of the body, to fix the musculoskeletal system.
Every day, chiropractors are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for chiropractors to evaluate the functioning of the neuromuscularskeletal system and the spine using systems of chiropractic diagnosis. They are often called upon to maintain accurate case histories of patients. Somewhat less frequently, chiropractors are also expected to advise patients about recommended courses of treatment.
They also have to be able to obtain and record patients' medical histories And finally, they sometimes have to advise patients about recommended courses of treatment.
Like many other jobs, chiropractors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in El Monte include:
- Dentist. Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting vitality of teeth.
- Emergency Medical Technician. Assess injuries, administer emergency medical care, and extricate trapped individuals. Transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
- Licensed Practical Nurse. Care for ill, injured, or disabled persons in hospitals, nursing homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required.
- Orthodontist. Examine, diagnose, and treat dental malocclusions and oral cavity anomalies. Design and fabricate appliances to realign teeth and jaws to produce and maintain normal function and to improve appearance.
- Physician Assistant. Provide healthcare services typically performed by a physician, under the supervision of a physician. Conduct complete physicals, provide treatment, and counsel patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. Must graduate from an accredited educational program for physician assistants.
- Registered Nurse. Assess patient health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records. Administer nursing care to ill, injured, or disabled patients. May advise patients on health maintenance and disease prevention or provide case management. Licensing or registration required. Includes advance practice nurses such as: nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, certified nurse midwives, and certified registered nurse anesthetists. Advanced practice nursing is practiced by RNs who have specialized formal, post-basic education and who function in highly autonomous and specialized roles.
- Respiratory Therapist. Assess, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders. Assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of respiratory therapy technicians. Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures; maintain patient records; and select, assemble, and operate equipment.
- Speech and Language Teacher. Assess and treat persons with speech, language, and fluency disorders. May select alternative communication systems and teach their use. May perform research related to speech and language problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Chiropractor Training
Southern California University of Health Sciences - Whittier, CA
Southern California University of Health Sciences, 16200 E Amber Valley Dr, Whittier, CA 90604. Southern California University of Health Sciences is a small university located in Whittier, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 181 students. Southern California University of Health Sciences has a doctor's degree program in Chiropractic which graduated 116 students in 2008.
Cleveland Chiropractic College of Los Angeles - Los Angeles, CA
Cleveland Chiropractic College of Los Angeles, 590 N Vermont Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90004-2196. Cleveland Chiropractic College of Los Angeles is a small college located in Los Angeles, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 346 students. Cleveland Chiropractic College of Los Angeles has a professional degree program in Chiropractic which graduated sixty-one students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: El Monte, California
El Monte is located in Los Angeles County, California. It has a population of over 121,791, which has grown by 5.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in El Monte, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in El Monte are valued at $172,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, thirty-three new homes were built in El Monte, down from ninety-nine the previous year.
The three big industries for women in El Monte are apparel, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 7.1% of El Monte residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.0%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in El Monte is 15.5%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of El Monte residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 58.1%, is more than both the national and state average. Trinity Reformed Church, Immanuel Episcopal Church and El Monte Spanish Seventh Day Adventist Church are some of the churches located in El Monte. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
El Monte is home to the El Monte Branch County of Los Angeles Public Library and the Norwood Branch County of Los Angeles Public Library as well as Arceo Park and Pioneer Park. Shopping centers in the area include Five Points Plaza Shopping Center and El Monte Shopping Center.