Career and Education Opportunities for Landscape Architects in El Monte, California
Landscape architects can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the El Monte, California area. There are currently 4,400 working landscape architects in California; this should grow 11% to 4,900 working landscape architects in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for landscape architects are expected to grow by about 19.7%. In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Landscape architects earn about $32 per hour or $66,870 annually on average in California and about $28 per hour or $58,960 yearly on average nationally. Incomes for landscape architects are not quite as good as in the overall category of Architecture in California, and not quite as good as the overall Architecture category nationally. Landscape architects work in a variety of jobs, including: golf course designer, designer, and golf course architect.
The El Monte area is home to 210 schools of higher education, including four within twenty-five miles of El Monte where you can get a degree as a landscape architect. Given that the most common education level for landscape architects is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a landscape architect if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Landscape Architect
In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Landscape architects talk with clients and architects on overall programs. They also ready site plans and cost estimates for land development, coordinating arrangement of existing and proposed land features and structures. Equally important, landscape architects have to seek new work opportunities through marketing, writing proposals or giving presentations. They are often called upon to inspect landscape work to insure adherence to specifications, approve quality of materials and work, and advise client and construction personnel. They are expected to ready graphic representations and drawings of proposed plans and designs. Finally, landscape architects compile and analyze data on conditions such as location and location of structures for environmental reports and landscaping plans.
Every day, landscape architects are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
And finally, they sometimes have to talk with clients and architects on overall programs.
Like many other jobs, landscape architects must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in El Monte include:
- Agricultural Engineer. Apply knowledge of engineering technology and biological science to agricultural problems concerned with power and machinery, electrification, structures, soil and water conservation, and processing of agricultural products.
- Architect. Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, and other structural property.
- Civil Engineer. Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, water and sewage systems, and waste disposal units. Includes architectural, structural, and geo-technical engineers.
- Civil Engineering Technician. Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
- Health, Safety, and Environment Manager. Plan, implement, and coordinate safety programs, requiring application of engineering principles and technology, to prevent or correct unsafe environmental working conditions.
- Materials Engineer. Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials.
- Surveyor. Make exact measurements and determine property boundaries. Provide data relevant to the shape, contour, or dimension of land or land features on or near the earth's surface for engineering, mapmaking, and other purposes.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Landscape Architect Training
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona - Pomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona, 3801 W Temple Ave, Pomona, CA 91768. California State Polytechnic University-Pomona is a large university located in Pomona, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 21,206 students and an admission rate of 69%. California State Polytechnic University-Pomona has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Landscape Architecture which graduated one and nine students respectively in 2008.
Otis College of Art and Design - Los Angeles, CA
Otis College of Art and Design, 9045 Lincoln Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045-3505. Otis College of Art and Design is a small college located in Los Angeles, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,206 students and an admission rate of 53%. Otis College of Art and Design has a bachelor's degree program in Environmental Design/Architecture which graduated eight students in 2008.
Art Center College of Design - Pasadena, CA
Art Center College of Design, 1700 Lida St, Pasadena, CA 91103. Art Center College of Design is a small college located in Pasadena, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,760 students and an admission rate of 60%. Art Center College of Design has a bachelor's degree program in Environmental Design/Architecture which graduated fifteen students in 2008.
University of Southern California - Los Angeles, CA
University of Southern California, University Park, Los Angeles, CA 90089. University of Southern California is a large university located in Los Angeles, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 33,747 students and an admission rate of 22%. University of Southern California has bachelor's degree, postbaccalaureate certificate, and master's degree programs in Landscape Architecture which graduated zero, three, and one students respectively in 2008.
Landscape Architect, Licensed
Licensing agency: Department of Consumer Affairs
Address: Landscape Architects Technical Committee, 400 R Street, Suite 4000, Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 445-4954
Website: Department of Consumer Affairs Landscape Architects Technical Committee
LOCATION INFORMATION: El Monte, California
El Monte is located in Los Angeles County, California. It has a population of over 121,791, which has grown by 5.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in El Monte, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in El Monte are valued at $172,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, thirty-three new homes were built in El Monte, down from ninety-nine the previous year.
The three big industries for women in El Monte are apparel, health care, and educational services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 7.1% of El Monte residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 2.0%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in El Monte is 15.5%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of El Monte residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 58.1%, is more than both the national and state average. Trinity Reformed Church, Immanuel Episcopal Church and El Monte Spanish Seventh Day Adventist Church are some of the churches located in El Monte. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
El Monte is home to the El Monte Branch County of Los Angeles Public Library and the Norwood Branch County of Los Angeles Public Library as well as Arceo Park and Pioneer Park. Shopping centers in the area include Five Points Plaza Shopping Center and El Monte Shopping Center.