Career and Education Opportunities for English Professors in Corona, California
Corona, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for english professors. English professors generally teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for english professors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in California, and not quite as good as the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. People working as english professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: etymology teacher, composition teacher, and english teacher.
The Corona area is home to twenty-three schools of higher education, including four within twenty-five miles of Corona where you can get a degree as an english professor. The most common level of education for english professors is a Master's degree. You can expect to spend about six years training to become an english professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: English Professor
In general, english professors teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
English professors initiate and moderate classroom discussions. They also evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. Equally important, english professors have to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to maintain student attendance records and other required records. Finally, english professors ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as poetry and translation and adaptation.
Every day, english professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for english professors to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. They are often called upon to decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks. They also participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are sometimes expected to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. Somewhat less frequently, english professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
English professors sometimes are asked to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students. They also have to be able to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish assistance to students in college writing centers.
Like many other jobs, english professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Corona include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: English Professor Training
California Baptist University - Riverside, CA
California Baptist University, 8432 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504-3297. California Baptist University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,013 students and an admission rate of 74%. California Baptist University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in English Language and Literature which graduated twenty-six and ten students respectively in 2008.
La Sierra University - Riverside, CA
La Sierra University, 4500 Riverwalk Parkway, Riverside, CA 92515-8247. La Sierra University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,899 students and an admission rate of 55%. La Sierra University has 3 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- English Language and Literature, master's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- English Composition, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- English Language and Literature/Letters, Other Specialties, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
College of the Desert - Palm Desert, CA
College of the Desert, 43-500 Monterey Ave, Palm Desert, CA 92260. College of the Desert is a medium sized college located in Palm Desert, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,632 students. College of the Desert has 2 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- English Language and Literature, associate's degree which graduated 5 students in 2008.
- Creative Writing, associate's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
University of California-Riverside - Riverside, CA
University of California-Riverside, 900 University Ave, Riverside, CA 92521. University of California-Riverside is a large university located in Riverside, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 18,405 students and an admission rate of 87%. University of California-Riverside has 3 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- Comparative Literature, master's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- English Language and Literature, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated eight, eight, and ten students respectively in 2008.
- Creative Writing, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated two and twenty-one students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Corona, California
Corona is situated in Riverside County, California. It has a population of over 149,923, which has grown by 20.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Corona, 124, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Corona are valued at $267,700 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, seven new homes were built in Corona, down from seventy-six the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Corona are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, public administration, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 35 minutes. More than 22.0% of Corona residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Corona is 11.2%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Corona residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Peace Lutheran Church, Corona Evangelical Free Church and Corona Heights Baptist Church are among the churches located in Corona. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Corona is home to the Cresta Verde Golf Club and the Corona Regional Medical Center as well as Husteo Park and Mountain Gate Community Park. Shopping malls in the area include Village Grove Plaza Shopping Center, Butterfield Stage Square Shopping Center and The Plaza on Sixth Street Shopping Center. Visitors to Corona can choose from Best Western Kings Inn and Arizona Motel for temporary stays in the area.