Career and Education Opportunities for Writers in Corona, California
Writer career and educational opportunities abound in Corona, California. There are currently 17,800 working writers in California; this should grow 19% to about 21,100 working writers in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for writers are expected to grow by about 14.8%. In general, writers create original written works.
A person working as a writer can expect to earn about $32 per hour or $67,540 per year on average in California and about $25 per hour or $53,070 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Compared with people working in the overall category of Writing and Editing, people working as writers in California earn more. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Writing and Editing nationally. Writers work in a variety of jobs, including: documentary script writer, video games storywriter, and editorial writer.
There are four schools within twenty-five miles of Corona where you can study to be a writer, among twenty-three schools of higher education total in the Corona area. The most common level of education for writers is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become a writer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Writer
In general, writers create original written works.
Writers revise written material to meet personal standards and to satisfy needs of clients or producers. They also choose subject matter and suitable form to express personal feelings and experiences or concepts, or to narrate stories or events. Equally important, writers have to formulate project arrangements or outlines, and organize material accordingly. They are often called upon to collaborate with other writers on specific projects. They are expected to ready works in appropriate format for publication, and send them to publishers or producers. Finally, writers talk with clients or producers to consider changes or revisions to written material.
Every day, writers are expected to be able to write clearly and communicate well. They need to be creative and generate new ideas.
It is important for writers to conduct research to obtain factual data and authentic detail, using sources such as newspaper accounts and interviews. They are often called upon to follow appropriate procedures to get copyrights for completed work. They also attend book launches and publicity events, or conduct public readings. They are sometimes expected to design factors such as themes and dialogue, to generate material. Somewhat less frequently, writers are also expected to collaborate with other writers on specific projects.
Writers sometimes are asked to teach writing classes. And finally, they sometimes have to revise written material to meet personal standards and to satisfy needs of clients or producers.
Like many other jobs, writers must be persistant in the face of problems and impediments and want to innovate to meet new challenges.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Corona include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Copy Writer. Write advertising copy for use by publication or broadcast media to promote sale of goods and services.
- Editorial Specialist. Perform variety of editorial duties, such as laying out, indexing, and revising content of written materials, in preparation for final publication.
- Film or Videotape Editor. Edit motion picture soundtracks, film, and video.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Music Director. Direct and conduct instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups.
- News Analyst. Analyze, interpret, and broadcast news received from various sources.
- Radio and Television Announcer. Talk on radio or television. May interview guests, act as master of ceremonies, read news flashes, identify station by giving call letters, or announce song title and artist.
- Reporter. Collect and analyze facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation. Report and write stories for newspaper, news magazine, or television.
- Singer. Sing songs on stage, radio, or motion pictures.
- Technical Writer. Write technical materials, such as equipment manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions. May assist in layout work.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Writer Training
California Baptist University - Riverside, CA
California Baptist University, 8432 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504-3297. California Baptist University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 4,013 students and an admission rate of 74%. California Baptist University has a bachelor's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric which graduated one student in 2008.
La Sierra University - Riverside, CA
La Sierra University, 4500 Riverwalk Parkway, Riverside, CA 92515-8247. La Sierra University is a small university located in Riverside, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,899 students and an admission rate of 55%. La Sierra University has 2 areas of study related to Writer. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
- English Composition, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
College of the Desert - Palm Desert, CA
College of the Desert, 43-500 Monterey Ave, Palm Desert, CA 92260. College of the Desert is a medium sized college located in Palm Desert, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,632 students. College of the Desert has 2 areas of study related to Writer. They are:
- Mass Communication/Media Studies, associate's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- Creative Writing, associate's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
University of California-Riverside - Riverside, CA
University of California-Riverside, 900 University Ave, Riverside, CA 92521. University of California-Riverside is a large university located in Riverside, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 18,405 students and an admission rate of 87%. University of California-Riverside has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Creative Writing which graduated two and twenty-one students respectively in 2008.
Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package: Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package course list: Better Requests for Proposals for Better Projects; Continuous Improvement Through Monitoring; Contracting; New Coding System for the 21st Century; Procurement; and Writing Winning Grant Proposals.
For more information, see the Dynamic Works Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Corona, California
Corona is situated in Riverside County, California. It has a population of over 149,923, which has grown by 20.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Corona, 124, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Corona are valued at $267,700 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, seven new homes were built in Corona, down from seventy-six the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Corona are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, public administration, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 35 minutes. More than 22.0% of Corona residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Corona is 11.2%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Corona residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.0%, is less than both the national and state average. Peace Lutheran Church, Corona Evangelical Free Church and Corona Heights Baptist Church are among the churches located in Corona. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Corona is home to the Cresta Verde Golf Club and the Corona Regional Medical Center as well as Husteo Park and Mountain Gate Community Park. Shopping malls in the area include Village Grove Plaza Shopping Center, Butterfield Stage Square Shopping Center and The Plaza on Sixth Street Shopping Center. Visitors to Corona can choose from Best Western Kings Inn and Arizona Motel for temporary stays in the area.