Career and Education Opportunities for Telemarketers in Chula Vista, California
There are many career and education opportunities for telemarketers in the Chula Vista, California area. About 34,000 people are currently employed as telemarketers in California. By 2016, this is expected to shrink 11% to about 30,200 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for telemarketers are expected to shrink by about 11.1%. Telemarketers generally solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Telemarketers earn approximately $12 per hour or $25,850 per year on average in California. Nationally they average about $10 hourly or $21,960 annually. Earnings for telemarketers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Sales and Clerical in California and not quite as good as general Sales and Clerical category earnings nationally.
There are sixty schools of higher education in the Chula Vista area, including six within twenty-five miles of Chula Vista where you can get a degree to start your career as a telemarketer. Telemarketers usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a telemarketer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Telemarketer
In general, telemarketers solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Telemarketers explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from clients. They also obtain customer data such as name and payment method, and enter orders into computers. Finally, telemarketers deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation.
Every day, telemarketers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for telemarketers to record names and reactions of prospects contacted. They are often called upon to adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals. They also deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation. They are sometimes expected to contact businesses or private individuals by telephone in order to seek sales for goods or services, or to request donations for charitable causes. Somewhat less frequently, telemarketers are also expected to maintain records of contacts and orders.
Telemarketers sometimes are asked to answer telephone calls from potential clients who have been solicited through advertisements. They also have to be able to telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from clients or to follow up initial sales contacts and conduct client or market surveys so as to obtain data related to potential clients. And finally, they sometimes have to schedule appointments for sales representatives to meet with prospective clients or for clients to attend sales presentations.
Like many other jobs, telemarketers must be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Chula Vista include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Telemarketer Training
Grossmont College - El Cajon, CA
Grossmont College, 8800 Grossmont College Dr, El Cajon, CA 92020-1799. Grossmont College is a large college located in El Cajon, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 18,227 students. Grossmont College has 2 areas of study related to Telemarketer. They are:
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated four, four, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Selling Skills and Sales Operations, two to four year.
MiraCosta College - Oceanside, CA
MiraCosta College, One Barnard Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056-3899. MiraCosta College is a large college located in Oceanside, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,910 students. MiraCosta College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated three, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Gemological Institute of America - Carlsbad, CA
Gemological Institute of America, 5345 Armada Dr, Carlsbad, CA 92008. Gemological Institute of America is a small school located in Carlsbad, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 3,594 students. Gemological Institute of America has a less than one year program in Selling Skills and Sales Operations which graduated 3,497 students in 2008.
San Diego Mesa College - San Diego, CA
San Diego Mesa College, 7250 Mesa College Dr, San Diego, CA 92111-4998. San Diego Mesa College is a large college located in San Diego, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 21,460 students. San Diego Mesa College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated two and one students respectively in 2008.
Palomar College - San Marcos, CA
Palomar College, 1140 W. Mission, San Marcos, CA 92069-1487. Palomar College is a large college located in San Marcos, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 28,093 students. Palomar College has 2 areas of study related to Telemarketer. They are:
- Insurance, associate's degree and two to four year.
- Selling Skills and Sales Operations, less than one year and two to four year which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
Southwestern College - Chula Vista, CA
Southwestern College, 900 Otay Lakes Rd, Chula Vista, CA 91910-7299. Southwestern College is a large college located in Chula Vista, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 19,997 students. Southwestern College has 2 areas of study related to Telemarketer. They are:
- Insurance, associate's degree and two to four year.
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, less than one year and associate's degree which graduated three and six students respectively in 2008.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Chula Vista, California
Chula Vista is located in San Diego County, California. It has a population of over 219,318, which has grown by 26.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Chula Vista, 134, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Chula Vista are valued at $226,700 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred eleven new homes were built in Chula Vista, down from three hundred twelve the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Chula Vista are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 22.2% of Chula Vista residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.2%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Chula Vista is 12.3%, which is the same as California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Chula Vista residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.7%, is less than both the national and state average. Seventh Day Adventist Church, First Christian Church and First Church of Christ are some of the churches located in Chula Vista. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Chula Vista is home to the Fenton Ranch and the Chula Vista Municipal Golf Course as well as Los Ninos Park and Library Park. Shopping centers in the area include Florence Shopping Center, Rio Sweetwater Plaza Shopping Center and Genesis Square Shopping Center. Visitors to Chula Vista can choose from Best Western Chula Vista Inn, Bay Cities Motel and Big 7 Motel for temporary stays in the area.