Career and Education Opportunities for Nursing Professors in Bakersfield, California
Nursing professors can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Bakersfield, California area. In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for nursing professors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in California, and not quite as good as the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. People working as nursing professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: nurse's aides teacher, cpr instructor , and instructor.
The Bakersfield area is home to eight schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Bakersfield where you can get a degree as a nursing professor. The most common level of education for nursing professors is a Master's degree. You can expect to spend about six years training to become a nursing professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Nursing Professor
In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. They also includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
Nursing professors keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They also evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory and clinic work, assignments, and papers. Equally important, nursing professors have to collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. Finally, nursing professors supervise students' laboratory and clinical work.
Every day, nursing professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for nursing professors to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to act as advisers to student organizations. Somewhat less frequently, nursing professors are also expected to demonstrate patient care in clinical units of hospitals.
Nursing professors sometimes are asked to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry and ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. And finally, they sometimes have to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
Like many other jobs, nursing professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Bakersfield include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Nursing Professor Training
Bakersfield College - Bakersfield, CA
Bakersfield College, 1801 Panorama Dr, Bakersfield, CA 93305-1299. Bakersfield College is a large college located in Bakersfield, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 18,028 students. Bakersfield College has an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated 130 students in 2008.
California State University-Bakersfield - Bakersfield, CA
California State University-Bakersfield, 9001 Stockdale Hwy, Bakersfield, CA 93311-1099. California State University-Bakersfield is a medium sized university located in Bakersfield, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,709 students and an admission rate of 48%. California State University-Bakersfield has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated one and twelve students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Bakersfield, California
Bakersfield is situated in Kern County, California. It has a population of over 321,078, which has grown by 30.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Bakersfield, 90, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Bakersfield are valued at $191,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, 1,038 new homes were built in Bakersfield, down from 1,820 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Bakersfield are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and educational services. The average travel time to work is about 22 minutes. More than 19.3% of Bakersfield residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.4%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Bakersfield is 10.1%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Bakersfield residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.6%, is less than both the national and state average. Cornerstone Community Church, Coronado Gardens Missionary Baptist Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are some of the churches located in Bakersfield. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Bakersfield is home to the Mesa Marin Raceway and the Avenue Oaks Country Club as well as Beale Park and Kern County Fairgrounds. Shopping centers in the area include Sagebrush Shopping Center, White Lane Plaza Shopping Center and Benton Park Shopping Center. Visitors to Bakersfield can choose from Best Western Heritage Inn, Best Western Hill House and America's Best Inn Bakersfield for temporary stays in the area.