Career and Education Opportunities for Telemarketers in Antioch, California
Antioch, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for telemarketers. About 34,000 people are currently employed as telemarketers in California. By 2016, this is expected to shrink by 11% to about 30,200 people employed. This is better than the national trend for telemarketers, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 11.1% over the next eight years. Telemarketers generally solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Income for telemarketers is about $12 hourly or $25,850 annually on average in California. Nationally, their income is about $10 per hour or $21,960 annually. Incomes for telemarketers are not quite as good as in the overall category of Sales and Clerical in California, and not quite as good as the overall Sales and Clerical category nationally.
There are five schools within twenty-five miles of Antioch where you can study to be a telemarketer, among sixty-four schools of higher education total in the Antioch area. Telemarketers usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a telemarketer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Telemarketer
In general, telemarketers solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Telemarketers explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from clients. They also obtain customer data such as name and payment method, and enter orders into computers. Finally, telemarketers deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation.
Every day, telemarketers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for telemarketers to record names and reactions of prospects contacted. They are often called upon to adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals. They also deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation. They are sometimes expected to contact businesses or private individuals by telephone in order to seek sales for goods or services, or to request donations for charitable causes. Somewhat less frequently, telemarketers are also expected to maintain records of contacts and orders.
Telemarketers sometimes are asked to answer telephone calls from potential clients who have been solicited through advertisements. They also have to be able to telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from clients or to follow up initial sales contacts and conduct client or market surveys so as to obtain data related to potential clients. And finally, they sometimes have to schedule appointments for sales representatives to meet with prospective clients or for clients to attend sales presentations.
Like many other jobs, telemarketers must be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Antioch include:
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Telemarketer Training
Chabot College - Hayward, CA
Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd, Hayward, CA 94545. Chabot College is a large college located in Hayward, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 14,299 students. Chabot College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated two, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Las Positas College - Livermore, CA
Las Positas College, 3033 Collier Cyn Rd, Livermore, CA 94551-7650. Las Positas College is a medium sized college located in Livermore, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,098 students. Las Positas College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has 2 areas of study related to Telemarketer. They are:
- Insurance, two to four year.
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, one to two year and two to four year which graduated seven and zero students respectively in 2008.
College of Alameda - Alameda, CA
College of Alameda, 555 Ralph Appezzato Memorial Parkway, Alameda, CA 94501. College of Alameda is a medium sized college located in Alameda, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 6,576 students. College of Alameda has a two to four year program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations.
Laney College - Oakland, CA
Laney College, 900 Fallon St, Oakland, CA 94607. Laney College is a large college located in Oakland, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 13,104 students. Laney College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Antioch, California
Antioch is located in Contra Costa County, California. It has a population of over 100,219, which has grown by 10.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Antioch, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Antioch cost $255,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-two new homes were constructed in Antioch, down from one hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Antioch are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 42 minutes. More than 18.2% of Antioch residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Antioch is 12.9%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Antioch residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Iglesia Biblica Bautista Antioquia, Lone Tree Community Church and Calvary Chapel are all churches located in Antioch. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Baptist General Conference and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Antioch is home to the Antioch Historical Center and the Lupine Rock Picnic Area as well as Williamson Ranch Park and Fairview Park. Shopping malls in the area include Antioch Square Shopping Center, Raleys Shopping Center and Century Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Antioch can choose from Antioch Executive Inn, Best Western Heritage Inn Antioch and Antioch Comfort Suites for temporary stays in the area.