Career and Education Opportunities for Market Survey Representatives in Antioch, California
There are many career and education opportunities for market survey representatives in the Antioch, California area. There are currently 2,500 working market survey representatives in California; this should grow 24% to about 3,100 working market survey representatives in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for market survey representatives, which sees this job pool growing by about 30.4% over the next eight years. In general, market survey representatives design or conduct surveys.
Market survey representatives earn about $19 per hour or $40,800 per year on average in California and about $17 per hour or $36,220 yearly on average nationally. Earnings for market survey representatives are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Social Sciences in California and not quite as good as general Social Sciences category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: consultant, survey statistician, and field interviewer.
There are sixty-four schools of higher education in the Antioch area, including seven within twenty-five miles of Antioch where you can get a degree to start your career as a market survey representative. Market survey representatives usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years studying to be a market survey representative if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Market Survey Representative
In general, market survey representatives design or conduct surveys. They also may supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone.
Market survey representatives collaborate with other researchers in the planning and evaluation of surveys. They also ready and present summaries and analyses of survey data and fact sheets that describe survey techniques and results. Equally important, market survey representatives have to analyze data from surveys or case studies, using statistical software. They are often called upon to monitor and evaluate survey progress and performance, using sample disposition reports and response rate calculations. They are expected to conduct surveys and collect data, using methods such as interviews, questionnaires, focus groups, market analysis surveys, public opinion polls and file reviews. Finally, market survey representatives confer with clients to pinpoint survey needs and specific requirements.
Every day, market survey representatives are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for market survey representatives to decide on and specify specifics of survey projects, including sources of data, procedures to be used, and the layout of survey instruments and materials. They are often called upon to support and direct operations for single or multiple surveys. They also direct updates and changes in survey implementation and methods. They are sometimes expected to hire and train recruiters and data collectors. Somewhat less frequently, market survey representatives are also expected to write training manuals to be used by survey interviewers.
and produce documentation of data collection methods and decisions pertaining to sample statistical weighting. And finally, they sometimes have to write training manuals to be used by survey interviewers.
Like many other jobs, market survey representatives must be thorough and dependable and be able to work independently and make decisions on their own.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Antioch include:
- Archaeologist. Conduct research to reconstruct record of past human life and culture from human remains, artifacts, and structures recovered through excavation, underwater recovery, or other means of discovery.
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Study nature and use of areas of earth's surface, relating and interpreting interactions of physical and cultural phenomena. Conduct research on physical aspects of a region, including land forms, climates, soils, plants and animals, and conduct research on the spatial implications of human activities within a given area, including social characteristics, economic activities, and political organization, as well as researching interdependence between regions at scales ranging from local to global.
- Historian. Research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Research Analyst. Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. May gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution. May use survey results to create a marketing campaign based on regional preferences and buying habits.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
- Urban Planner. Develop comprehensive plans and programs for use of land and physical facilities of local jurisdictions, such as towns, cities, and metropolitan areas.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Market Survey Representative Training
Saint Marys College of California - Moraga, CA
Saint Marys College of California, 1928 Saint Marys Road, Moraga, CA 94556. Saint Marys College of California is a small college located in Moraga, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,809 students and an admission rate of 81%. Saint Marys College of California has a bachelor's degree program in Economics which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
Mills College - Oakland, CA
Mills College, 5000 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94613. Mills College is a small college located in Oakland, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,481 students and an admission rate of 55%. Mills College has 2 areas of study related to Market Survey Representative. They are:
- Economics, bachelor's degree which graduated 8 students in 2008.
- Business/Managerial Economics, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated seven and forty-three students respectively in 2008.
University of California-Berkeley - Berkeley, CA
University of California-Berkeley, , Berkeley, CA 94720. University of California-Berkeley is a large university located in Berkeley, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 35,353 students and an admission rate of 23%. University of California-Berkeley has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Economics which graduated eighteen, thirteen, and thirty-five students respectively in 2008.
California State University-East Bay - Hayward, CA
California State University-East Bay, 25800 Carlos Bee Blvd, Hayward, CA 94542. California State University-East Bay is a large university located in Hayward, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 12,353 students and an admission rate of 71%. California State University-East Bay has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Economics which graduated two and six students respectively in 2008.
University of the Pacific - Stockton, CA
University of the Pacific, 3601 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95211-0197. University of the Pacific is a medium sized university located in Stockton, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,251 students and an admission rate of 69%. University of the Pacific has a bachelor's degree program in Economics which graduated three students in 2008.
Merritt College - Oakland, CA
Merritt College, 12500 Campus Dr, Oakland, CA 94619-3196. Merritt College is a medium sized college located in Oakland, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,025 students. Merritt College has an associate's degree program in Economics.
Contra Costa College - San Pablo, CA
Contra Costa College, 2600 Mission Bell Dr, San Pablo, CA 94806-3195. Contra Costa College is a medium sized college located in San Pablo, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,147 students. Contra Costa College has an associate's degree program in Economics which graduated six students in 2008.
Certified Forensic Interviewer: The objective of this certification program is to create comprehensive, universally accepted professional standards combined with an objective measure of an interviewer's knowledge of those standards.
For more information, see the Center for Interviewer Standards and Assessment Ltd. website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Antioch, California
Antioch is located in Contra Costa County, California. It has a population of over 100,219, which has grown by 10.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Antioch, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Antioch cost $255,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-two new homes were constructed in Antioch, down from one hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Antioch are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 42 minutes. More than 18.2% of Antioch residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Antioch is 12.9%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Antioch residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Iglesia Biblica Bautista Antioquia, Lone Tree Community Church and Calvary Chapel are all churches located in Antioch. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Baptist General Conference and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Antioch is home to the Antioch Historical Center and the Lupine Rock Picnic Area as well as Williamson Ranch Park and Fairview Park. Shopping malls in the area include Antioch Square Shopping Center, Raleys Shopping Center and Century Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Antioch can choose from Antioch Executive Inn, Best Western Heritage Inn Antioch and Antioch Comfort Suites for temporary stays in the area.