Career and Education Opportunities for Chiropractors in Antioch, California
Chiropractors can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Antioch, California area. There are currently 4,500 working chiropractors in California; this should grow 24% to 5,600 working chiropractors in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for chiropractors are expected to grow by about 19.5%. Chiropractors generally adjust spinal column and other articulations of the body to correct abnormalities of the human body believed to be caused by interference with the nervous system.
Chiropractors earn about $29 hourly or $60,470 yearly on average in California and about $31 per hour or $66,490 yearly on average nationally. Chiropractors earn less than people working in the category of Alternative and Specialized generally in California and more than people in the Alternative and Specialized category nationally. Jobs in this field include: physician, chiropractic neurologist, and chiropractic physician.
There are sixty-four schools of higher education in the Antioch area, including one within twenty-five miles of Antioch where you can get a degree to start your career as a chiropractor. Chiropractors usually hold a Doctoral degree, so you can expect to spend four or five years studying to be a chiropractor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or eight to ten years if you have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Chiropractor
In general, chiropractors adjust spinal column and other articulations of the body to correct abnormalities of the human body believed to be caused by interference with the nervous system. They also examine patient to determine nature and extent of disorder.
Chiropractors diagnose health problems by reviewing patients' health and medical histories, questioning, observing and examining patients, and interpreting x-rays. They also manage diagnostic x-rays to be taken. Equally important, chiropractors have to counsel patients about nutrition and other matters. They are often called upon to analyze x-rays to identify the sources of patients' difficulties and to rule out fractures or diseases as sources of problems. They are expected to confer with and refer patients to appropriate health practitioners when needed. Finally, chiropractors perform a series of manual adjustments to the spine, or other articulations of the body, to fix the musculoskeletal system.
Every day, chiropractors are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for chiropractors to evaluate the functioning of the neuromuscularskeletal system and the spine using systems of chiropractic diagnosis. They are often called upon to maintain accurate case histories of patients. Somewhat less frequently, chiropractors are also expected to advise patients about recommended courses of treatment.
They also have to be able to obtain and record patients' medical histories And finally, they sometimes have to advise patients about recommended courses of treatment.
Like many other jobs, chiropractors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Antioch include:
- Dentist. Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting vitality of teeth.
- Emergency Medical Technician. Assess injuries, administer emergency medical care, and extricate trapped individuals. Transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
- Licensed Practical Nurse. Care for ill, injured, or disabled persons in hospitals, nursing homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required.
- Optometrist. Diagnose, manage, and treat conditions and diseases of the human eye and visual system. Examine eyes and visual system, diagnose problems or impairments, prescribe corrective lenses, and provide treatment. May prescribe therapeutic drugs to treat specific eye conditions.
- Orthodontist. Examine, diagnose, and treat dental malocclusions and oral cavity anomalies. Design and fabricate appliances to realign teeth and jaws to produce and maintain normal function and to improve appearance.
- Physician Assistant. Provide healthcare services typically performed by a physician, under the supervision of a physician. Conduct complete physicals, provide treatment, and counsel patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. Must graduate from an accredited educational program for physician assistants.
- Podiatrist. Diagnose and treat diseases and deformities of the human foot.
- Registered Nurse. Assess patient health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records. Administer nursing care to ill, injured, or disabled patients. May advise patients on health maintenance and disease prevention or provide case management. Licensing or registration required. Includes advance practice nurses such as: nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, certified nurse midwives, and certified registered nurse anesthetists. Advanced practice nursing is practiced by RNs who have specialized formal, post-basic education and who function in highly autonomous and specialized roles.
- Respiratory Therapist. Assess, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders. Assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of respiratory therapy technicians. Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures; maintain patient records; and select, assemble, and operate equipment.
- Speech and Language Teacher. Assess and treat persons with speech, language, and fluency disorders. May select alternative communication systems and teach their use. May perform research related to speech and language problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Chiropractor Training
Life Chiropractic College-West - Hayward, CA
Life Chiropractic College-West, 25001 Industrial Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545-2800. Life Chiropractic College-West is a small college located in Hayward, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 406 students. Life Chiropractic College-West has a professional degree program in Chiropractic which graduated sixty students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Antioch, California
Antioch is located in Contra Costa County, California. It has a population of over 100,219, which has grown by 10.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Antioch, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Antioch cost $255,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-two new homes were constructed in Antioch, down from one hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Antioch are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 42 minutes. More than 18.2% of Antioch residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Antioch is 12.9%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Antioch residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Iglesia Biblica Bautista Antioquia, Lone Tree Community Church and Calvary Chapel are all churches located in Antioch. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Baptist General Conference and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Antioch is home to the Antioch Historical Center and the Lupine Rock Picnic Area as well as Williamson Ranch Park and Fairview Park. Shopping malls in the area include Antioch Square Shopping Center, Raleys Shopping Center and Century Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Antioch can choose from Antioch Executive Inn, Best Western Heritage Inn Antioch and Antioch Comfort Suites for temporary stays in the area.